E40D Pump Question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

E40D Pump Question

I have a 1996 F250 with the 7.3 with an E40D tranny. I stripped out the front planet so I replaced it with the steel upgrade and installed a rebuild kit. While reinstalling the trans I did not have the torque converter seated properly. When I started the truck the motor turned over slow but started and made a hell of a racket! I figured I trashed the torque converter so I dropped the trans and replaced the torque converter new. I seated everything properly this time and reinstalled the trans. The truck started like normal, no noise. When I put into drive the truck didn't move. When I revved the motor (2500rpm) it slowly started to move. I went through all the gears and the same result. I drove the truck to see if the maybe something wasn't primed. When I got back I noticed the od light was blinking. What I read through this forum was that this was probably a code for trans slipping or overheat and it was most likely the torque converter? My question is, is it possible that I damaged the pump when I installed it incorrectly the first time? I did check to see if the gear was worn when I installed the new torque converter and it appeared to be fine but I'm not sure if the case was damaged inside. Everything I've read says the torque converter but unless I got a bad one (auto zone) I wouldn't think that the case. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: E40D Pump Question

I have a 1996 F250 with the 7.3 with an E40D tranny. I stripped out the front planet so I replaced it with the steel upgrade and installed a rebuild kit. While reinstalling the trans I did not have the torque converter seated properly. When I started the truck the motor turned over slow but started and made a hell of a racket! I figured I trashed the torque converter so I dropped the trans and replaced the torque converter new. I seated everything properly this time and reinstalled the trans. The truck started like normal, no noise. When I put into drive the truck didn't move. When I revved the motor (2500rpm) it slowly started to move. I went through all the gears and the same result. I drove the truck to see if the maybe something wasn't primed. When I got back I noticed the od light was blinking. What I read through this forum was that this was probably a code for trans slipping or overheat and it was most likely the torque converter? My question is, is it possible that I damaged the pump when I installed it incorrectly the first time? I did check to see if the gear was worn when I installed the new torque converter and it appeared to be fine but I'm not sure if the case was damaged inside. Everything I've read says the torque converter but unless I got a bad one (auto zone) I wouldn't think that the case. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:57 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

It's not just likely the pump is destroyed, it's almost a certainty. And now that you've tried to drive it while it was slipping there is a good chance you've damaged or destroyed some of the clutches. All of the priming in an automatic transmission takes place in the first one to two seconds after the engine starts. If the trans doesn't work right out of the box STOP and figure out what's wrong. Driving it just causes more damage.

I recommend pulling the trans again and tearing it down to see if any of the frictions are damaged. I'll bet that at least the forward clutch needs to be replaced.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank you Mark. I appreciate your expertise, I will let you know how it turns out. Have a great day!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Mark,
You were correct, I did have to replace the pump and the forward friction discs. The pump was trashed and the disc were discolored so I went ahead and replaced. After start up the truck seemed to be in good shape so I test drove it. I noticed I had to feather the throttle to get the truck to shift, manually it seemed to shift fine though od never seemed to work. I then drove the truck to town (10 miles) and while in town the truck stopped shifting to d/od. I took the back road home in second all the way...
Have I put a check ball in the wrong location or do I have a stuck valve? The diagram wasn't very clear on the size difference (check ball) but I did torque everything to spec.
Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode