ZF6 issue - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

ZF6 issue

long story making it short. have had no trouble with trans till last night. I drove most of the day with several stops going to a MNG and had no problems. we made it to the MNG location I let the truck idle while my wife sat in it because it was 10 degrees out and I got out and chatted with a few members while we waited for the rest to show up. we went in to eat and socailize after about 30minutes. We were there about 3-3.5 hours. We came out let the truck warm up a minute and when I tried to put the truck in gear it would not go in any gear. I could feel the truck move forward or reverse when I tried a gear. I finally mashed the right pedal and jammed it in first and didn't stop moving jamming it into the next gear got on the highway drove the 90 miles home when we got off the highway still wouldn't go into gears smoothly. made it to the street the house is on and when I went to downshift and turn it shifted easy like usual. I went out this afternoon to check the fluids, both ok. I got in the truck and before starting it, shifted through the pattern and putting it in reverse smooth as silk. Started it up still shifts smooth.
the only thing that I did that I have never done before was when we got to the MNG I set the brake and let it idle about 30 minutes. do you think something just rattled out of place ?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Jay

1999.5 F250 CCSB 4x4 stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:34 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: ZF6 issue

Maybe a dumb question, but whats MNG?

Does it feel like the clutch pedal is working correctly?

I went through 3 or 4 slave cylinders in my 550 with ZF6

It was obvios when it went out because the pedal went to the floor way too easily, and I basically had no clutch.

Also - My pilot bearing went out, and literally took the whole tranny with it at one point as well.
That was not cool.
To top it off, when we took the tranny down my clutch fork was bent.

I got a South Bend Clutch with kevlar bushing and the updated Ford clutch fork to fix that.

-Shawn Collister #16

-2002 F250 Crew/4x4/Auto- 4" Magnaflow, AIS, Vegistroke, ScanGauge, AC's tuned by Swamps

-2003 F450 Crew/4x4/Auto- 4" exhaust, Alcoas, Air ride, AIS, Garrett 38R, X-monitor
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa450 View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but whats MNG?

Does it feel like the clutch pedal is working correctly?

I went through 3 or 4 slave cylinders in my 550 with ZF6

It was obvios when it went out because the pedal went to the floor way too easily, and I basically had no clutch.

Also - My pilot bearing went out, and literally took the whole tranny with it at one point as well.
That was not cool.
To top it off, when we took the tranny down my clutch fork was bent.

I got a South Bend Clutch with kevlar bushing and the updated Ford clutch fork to fix that.
sorry about that, MNG is Meet n Greet.
the clutch pedal felt the same as always, it felt like it had good pressure.

1999.5 F250 CCSB 4x4 stock for now

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Science rulz

Send a message via AIM to Coltaine

I'd check the shifter linkage, maybe the pattern plate, checking the clutch and stuff wouldn't hurt either, probably the slave cylinder, Ford has some issues with those things.

If it's not counting teeth and making horrible sounds it usually isn't broken, but better be on the lookout for any new sounds associated with shifting etc.

One of them truckless bastards.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode