4 the experienced trans guys - 4r100 shudder in 4th - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

4 the experienced trans guys - 4r100 shudder in 4th

Hey guys, New to forum.
E99 7.3 4r100. shudders when shifts into 4th. w/o being heavy on throttle. does this while cruising up to about 70.
I have done the drivability tests so I know its nowhere in the driveline.

I put in neutral while around 65-70, and it stops.

If I hit the throttle to get it back into 3rd the shudder is not there, but when it hits the point of going back into 4th, the shudder comes back.

I do have injector 3 down on the oil side but its been like that for a while without this sympton.

Heres how it went down, I was driving 2 weeks ago and a bunch of cars slammed their brakes in front of me so my only way out was to throttle ou of it to beat the car that was on my right bumper so I pegged the gas and shot in front of them. when I did this an abnormal blast of black shot out and a now have a whine. but along with that, can this shuddering.

The whine I have found through friends with 7.3's seems somewhat normal ( but it wasn't there until after I avoided the accident ) or we are all having the same problem with that.

So A could this shuttering come from the TC,
B could this whine be coming from TC as well?

I have used a stethoscpoe and found the whine in the oil pan and in the turbo spider. ( hard to pinpoint because obviously its resonation through the system.

Anyhow, Im more concerned about the shuddering.....
I did pull trans pan. Clean as a whistle!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: 4 the experienced trans guys - 4r100 shudder in 4th

[QUOTE=Strokin578;5540905]Hey guys, New to forum.
E99 7.3 4r100. shudders when shifts into 4th. w/o being heavy on throttle. does this while cruising up to about 70.
I have done the drivability tests so I know its nowhere in the driveline.

I put in neutral while around 65-70, and it stops.

If I hit the throttle to get it back into 3rd the shudder is not there, but when it hits the point of going back into 4th, the shudder comes back.

I do have injector 3 down on the oil side but its been like that for a while without this sympton.

Heres how it went down, I was driving 2 weeks ago and a bunch of cars slammed their brakes in front of me so my only way out was to throttle ou of it to beat the car that was on my right bumper so I pegged the gas and shot in front of them. when I did this an abnormal blast of black shot out and a now have a whine. but along with that, can this shuddering.

The whine I have found through friends with 7.3's seems somewhat normal ( but it wasn't there until after I avoided the accident ) or we are all having the same problem with that.

So A could this shuttering come from the TC,
B could this whine be coming from TC as well?

I have used a stethoscpoe and found the whine in the oil pan and in the turbo spider. ( hard to pinpoint because obviously its resonation through the system.

Anyhow, Im more concerned about the shuddering.....
I did pull trans pan. Clean as a whistle!!!

PS, I have all gauges ( Trans temp, boost, HPOP, Fuel Pressure, EGT temp. None of my vitals have changed since, just this whine / Hum, and shuddering
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 02:46 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

My money is on injector #3 causing the shudder. I've never found a 4R100 that shudders. But I've found many engine problems that people think is the transmission shuddering. Maybe your's is different.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

But injector 3 has been down for over a year without these symptoms.
The shuttering only happend 2 weeks ago with avoiding the accident, All vitals are exact to previous of shuttering
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ok, so how familiar are you with the e99 set-up to the 99.5? I have a chance to grab (8) AD injectors with 85K miles on them for $400. I know the AB that I have stock are split shots like the AD's and the AD's are 20 more CC's tham my stocks.
Will I be good just swapping to AD's with an adjustment to my Diablo tuner ?

Ive seen people discussing having to change over the turbo, IDM & HPOP to run the AD's
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

P.S, I did have a buzz and contribution test done this past weekend Buzz checked out good, Contribution verified the #3 injector bad on oil side. Compression good and no gas in oil so I know I'm still good on cylinder 3 dispite the time Ive been down on #3.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode