5R110W harsh 1-2 shift after highway run only - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

5R110W harsh 1-2 shift after highway run only

Have an 04 F250 6.0 with torqshift transmission. 123,000 miles on it, 20,000 of which are mine. Totally stock truck with no chips or tuners. Run Edge CTS to monitor parameters. Fluid level good and transmission is spot on with shifts 99% of time. Every so often after running 15 miles or more on interstate I will pull off at exit and catch a red light. Upon starting out my 1-2 shift will be real hard, like bang hard. All others fine on up thru gears. Fluid level good and planning to change it soon. Uncertain of fluid maintenence on it. Fluid color is good though visually.
Just wondering what would cause this behavior. Fluid temp runs about 160 to 170 unloaded on interstate. No codes per Edge CTS. Stock not chipped. No tow haul flashing.

Is this something indicative of gunk in a solenoid and would a drain and fill and new external filter possibly help?

Thanks for any insight.

Robert

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Re: 5R110W harsh 1-2 shift after highway run only

do the fluid change/filter ( consider a dealers heated fluid exchange ) and only use Mercon LV/SP and if it were mine i would clear the KAM

the slams usually tell me there is an overlap in solenoid execution

Mark K may chime in also and tell me I am full of chit lol

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I am going to order 12 quarts of LV and an internal and external filter element on Monday after I call to see if I can find a dealer that can do the heat flush. If no go on that I will order and do drain and fills.
Is the LV ok to use in place of SP fluid? Seems there are differing opinions. LV is $20 cheaper than SP on Amazon per case of 12.

After fluid is changed I'll kill the KAM memory and take it out for a drive to let it relearn.

Thanks for the input.

Robert

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Administrator

LV is perfectly fine

you don't usually need a pan gasket the OEM is reusable

don't really need a internal filter since it is just a screen but I replaced mine at one time also since it is not expensive

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode