ZF6 trans issues.. need some help. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
compresion ignition adict

ZF6 trans issues.. need some help.

Hey guys.. just got done with my cummins/ZF6 conversion in my 04' F350. I bought the trans used from a member on here with 36000 miles on it. The trans had been in a truck that cought on fire but the trans looked fine. Was doing some of the finish work on the swap, Fired the truck up and couldnt get it to go into gear and was hearing a light knock coming from the trans. At first we thought it was a rod knock or posible fuel knock. Checked oil presure, bled the fuel lines no problems there... Thought it might be the clutch... no problems there. Seen the starter needed shimed out... Did that too.... no change. Looked down through the top of the trans where the shifter goes in with a mag light and seen lots and lots of rust. We finaly got all of the gears broke loose and were able to get it into each gear. After trying all of those things we ran some sea foam and lucas through it. Now the origional knock that was just a slight tap tap tap... turned into sounding like ive got a midget with a mini sledge tryin to come through my floor board... Im at a loss. I talked to the seller and he said that the trans had been kept in the garage after being removed from the last truck... and that it had worked fine when it was last in the truck. Im at a loss now, ive spent close to 10 grand on this swap.. im out of money and i have two maxed out credit cards. The whole hope for this swap was to rid me of my plagued 6.0 that had o so many eletrical problems. Im still no better off than i was... I really need some help guys so anyone with some zf experience if you could chime in that would be awesome.

04' F350 cummins conversion 12v/ZF6...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:56 AM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker
Re: ZF6 trans issues.. need some help.

When you push in the clutch does the noise stop?

If not then my guess would be pilot bearing. Did you change them and put in a good one?

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

got the trans back out from the truck today and found two gears busted inside it...... gona tear into it more to figure out what else let loose.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 12:03 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker

That really sucks. Take pictures for us all

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

will do, now the seller is refusing to help me with the expenss... ill be taking pictures and posting them soon. It kills me when i spend my honest, hard earned money, trust a person and they want to turn around and screw me.. this guy is a total piece of work.... Im in the navy about to get discharged medicaly and dont have a job now, and I have 17 thousand dollar truck siting in my drivway with no trans.... i just feel really irked rite now. All i wanted was a little help from the guy in covering the cost in parts but he refuses. So now im out $1200.... I appologize for the rant and im not trying to sound like a charity case but it just sucks....

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:05 AM
Going Crazy

Send a message via MSN to badluck_early99

hey i may have a rebuild kit or at least some of the gears around ill look and see if i have them still maybe get ya a deal on some parts if you plan to rebuild it

1999 F250 PS 6spd, 37x12.50x17 ProComp Xmud, 06 Grill & Lights. DP tuner, Terminator Hpops, Garrett 42, Casserly B codes, FASS Fuel system by DI, H11's, ITP Reg Return W/Bowl Delete, Sknab 6oh Intercooler, DIY Intake, 4'' Exhaust, Itp OBA, Autometer boost and pyro, , ccv

-Richard-
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

yea man id be intrested... i plan on rebuilding it. Ive always wanted a Zf6 just never expected to start out this way with one ya know.. i just dont have any of the specialty tools for the rebuild.. i have a manual though lol

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Just got my tax return... im out of the navy the week after next... time to order some parts and get this trans back in so i can finaly see the pay off of my cummins conversion

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

just currious are the bell housing bolt patterns on the 6.0 and 7.3 ZF's the same.. ?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:11 PM
PSN Local

Send a message via Yahoo to 7.3powerstroke03

im pretty sure they have different patterns

2000 F250 reg cab 4x4 6spd 270k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode