4R100 new rebuild OD light flashing garage says engine not running right cause - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
bedliner99

4R100 new rebuild OD light flashing garage says engine not running right cause

My 2nd rebuild in 18K miles. 1st one was an Ebayer from Tampa I believe. Told me all heavy parts. Tore it up stock rebuild. Now local garage my nephew works as service writer. Picked it up handed over $4200 and got out and started it up. OD light flashing at idle. Once good and warm won't shift into 3rd without running up to 38 mph and backing off quickly on pedal. If I don't do this she will go to redline and not shift. Garage says engine not running correctly bad MAP and EBP. Took it back and I changed both. Guess what still won't shift. Anyone had these symptoms? One more thing when I first drove it home the flashing OD light I thought maybe low fluid. I checked it warmed up, level, and in park. Dry stick yup. I called to get back and drop it off for OD lite and low fluid. They called with estimate of MAP EBP and fluid $375. I said what about OD light they said engine trouble. ANY Advice will be welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 12:54 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: 4R100 new rebuild OD light flashing garage says engine not running right cause

Engine trouble won't make the OD light flash. Transmission trouble will. You need to know what codes are stored to make a diagnosis. The places that read codes free CANNOT read these codes, and I'll bet the shop you took it to can't read them, either. You need either a GOOD independent shop, or a Ford dealer to read them.

They were going to charge you to add fluid on the trans THEY just rebuilt?

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 01:11 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 4R100 new rebuild OD light flashing garage says engine not running right cause

what he said

was OD light flashing before they pulled your trans?
its flashing now

flashing OD light = transmission issue, or speed sensor issue, NEVER engine issue. Some code scanners can read some trans codes. Not all flashing OD light codes will show up on your average OBDII scanner but its worth a shot just to see what the codes are

I would be PISSED!! Usually I don't pay for the work until I see the work was done properly, or dispute the charge on your credit card

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 12:30 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410customs View Post
Not all flashing OD light codes will show up on your average OBDII scanner but its worth a shot just to see what the codes are
Most codes that will flash the OD light cannot be read by a generic tool.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 01:07 PM
PSN Veteran

Mark thanks for that!
I have discovered this over the years. 8 times out of 10 I will not get a trans or manu specific codes from a flashing OD light.
But those 2 times out of 10 when I do it is very helpful. Usually points right to a bad solenoid or speed sensor issue (I almost always deal with 4r/5r55e and 4r70w before I came here)

Any decently priced scanners we can look at that can retrieve these codes? or is a visit to the dealer required?

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Auto Enginuity can read most of the module codes if you have the enhanced ford bundle

https://www.autoenginuity.com/

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 04:07 PM
PSN Veteran

sounds like that tranny shop fked up your rebuild. for sure they didnt put enough fluid in it. right theres a huge red flag
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 04:30 PM
Administrator

a Ford reman would have had a great nation wide warranty / been way less hassle /
and could be installed by anyone but the warranty would cover diagnostics and R&R at a ford dealer if need be oh and would have been machine tested not just fingers crossed

it sounds line you have a shop that is not up to a decent caliber or dishonest

as far as the ebay transmission well enough said

get the codes read and make them fix it not to mention I hope they cleaned/replaced the cooling system after the first failed tranny ?

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 04:47 PM
PSN Veteran

good point on the ford reman. mine has been flawless. good point on the cooling flush too. my trans guy replaced everything on mine. even the radiator
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 04:57 PM
Administrator

the radiator tranny cooler can be hard to flush since it's not just a tube
a new radiator is the way to go IMO

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode