92 E4OD Problems - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

92 E4OD Problems

I've been having problems with this light flashing ever since I got the truck. It's a 92 F-350 4x4 7.3l IDI on 38's.

It's been kind of slightly lunging into gear. Not always and not very noticeable.

Then at random it will start throwing codes and flashing the O/D light and go to safe mode and kick me in the pants every time it shifts.

It sometimes goes a month without doing it, then it will do it every day for a week and a half. I usually just disconnect the batts and let it sit. Goes away for a while.

The fluid looks and smells kind of toasty but I have a pile of paperwork I got with the truck for a full tranny and T-Case rebuild 4k before I bought it and I may have put 8k on it. The fluid looks the same now as the day I bought it. And I do plan to change it when it warms up a little.

I replaced the FIPL switch soon after getting the truck.

A few weeks ago I went through and cleaned all the connectors and put dielectric grease on them. When I pulled the connector on the passenger side of the trans it was covered in trans fluid. Don't know why. Couldn't get my head in there to see. I figure it goes to the solenoid block and that is messed up.

Later I relaced the MLPS and adjusted it right (about a week and ahalf ago).

I hooked up the self tester today and got back three codes on the KOEO test.

1. 19 Failure in ECA (electronic control assy)- Problems with internal voltage regulator

2. 29 VSS Signal too low (replaced this and the connector months ago)

3. 49 Transaxle problem 1-2 Shift Error

It makes no sense to me why it does this. When it went off today Iw as just cruisin down the street and put a little throttle to it to go around someone and it shifted out of overdive to go then when I let off it slammed back into overdrive and the o/d light started flashing and it went to safe mode.

It also seems to do it more whan I am driving it like a granny. If I am a littel harder on it I usually don't see as many problems out of it.

The only other time the light comes on is occasionally I'll be leaving out of my yard trying to take it easy so I don't spin the tires and it will start to flash, then when I get out of the driveway I just blp the throttle and it stops (I'm guessing this is the 1-2 shift problem.

I have also reprogrammed the PSOM with the correct constant for my tires.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 05:26 PM
OBS junkie

Re: 92 E4OD Problems

Not to go far off topic but what gears do you have?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

It's got the stock 4.10's. I meant to put that in there.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I forgot to mention a few things and I have an update as well:

First off I checked the FIPL for proper voltage today and it has .996-1v at idle and 3.76 at WOT. From what I have been reading this is right about where it needs to be. I have read that it should be 1.1v but people push it back to .996 for better shifts or something.

I forgot to mention my twitchy speedo. I had replaced the VSS as previously mentioned and I put a PSOM from my old bronco in there the other day and it still twitched. It's not bouncy like a bad VSS usually is, it twitches in 5mph increments up or down corresponding to wether I am accellerating or decelerating.

The cruise control has also never worked since I've had the truck.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I just got the pan off and it dosen't look bad. Fluid is smoked but no wierd films or metallic look to it. Has the normal fuzz on the magnet.

Have no plug on the converter so it's just gonna have to wait till later. But it does have a fresh blue paintjob and the inside of the trans has some aftermarket looking parts in it so maybe the rebuild did actually take place.

The O-ring for the filter is fused to the hole it sits in and I'm in the process of scraping it out. Looks like it may not have been sitting up as high as it needed to be.

Also got a used trans computer off ebay I'm going to install if the new fluid and filter won't help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode