'96 7.3L Auto keeps getting hot - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark Kovalsky

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

'96 7.3L Auto keeps getting hot

I have a 96 F350 4x4 auto, 4:10 with 35" tires. Intake, Banks intercooler, tru cool trans cooler, Mag Hytech deep sump trans pan, TS 6 position chip, trans, pyro and boost gauges. The trans was re-built in 2013 and has 7k miles on it. I primarily tow a 32' 5er with the truck. On a trip into the sierras, the trans started getting hot. I expected it considering the load and the incline. That was in august of 2014. Didn't really have any issues until recently. The trans started getting hot on a trip to the desert on flat ground with air temps in the high 80s. I was able to pull over and let it cool. It continued to get hot the rest of the trip. most recently it started to get hot unloaded. By hot I mean passing 200*. I used a temp gun to check the inlet and outlet side of the trans cooler as well as the temp of the pan. The gun confirmed the gauge was right on. The temp difference on the cooler was around 15* between the in and out side. What is likely causing the temps to go up? Could the chip be causing issues? Does it sound like the cooler isn't working, clogged etc.? I haven't changed the trans fluid since the rebuild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 11:49 PM
PSN Local

Re: '96 7.3L Auto keeps getting hot

How much past 200 that's not that high I don't think

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 97 f350 cclb drw 300,000 miles stage 2 160 100 sticks 17* hpop sd ic turbo set up off a t444e sd fuel pump ts chip cat fuel filters stage 3 ceramic clutch 410 gears 3 in down pipe to 4 in out the back 6637 air filter all the gauges fuel hpop pyro boost oil temp 50 gal fuel tank
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I would pull over to let it cool down if it got near 210

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 02:12 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

If it ever gets hot come back and let us know. If you're going to pull over and let it cool at 200°F or even 210°F you'll never get anywhere in the summer.

This trans can run at 220°F all day long with no problems, and up to 250°F for up to a half hour at a time.
79jasper likes this.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for reassuring me Mark. The trans had always run at around 180-195 towing a 32' 5th wheel. Although that is usually in cooler climate. I drove the truck Friday and unloaded the trans was running about 175-180 after 45 min. It was about 100* outside. I checked the temp on the inlet and outlet side of the trans cooler and it was 15* different. I was told that is about right. Would you recommend changing the trans fluid on this trans? It was rebuilt in 2013 and has about 7500 miles on it. I have a trip planned with the trailer and don't want to have any issues.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 04:29 PM
PSN Newb

I'm not sure if you have one or not but my billet triple clutch torque converter made a big difference on heat when towing also with the 6.0 oil cooler i run my truck with around a 10,000lb load on it and cant get it to 200 degrees if i try. much better than the little trans cooler i had with an 8" fan on it
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 10:52 PM
PSN Local

I'm with Mark. Trying to keep the tranny to 200F is not worth the effort. My 96 is still going strong, and it's been running at 220F or even higher when towing in the hills since I got it 20 years ago. It's still pulling strong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode