5R110 "Binding" when going to D after reverse - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

5R110 "Binding" when going to D after reverse

So this has been happening over the past couple weeks:

Regardless of temp, after backing up (out of driveway, parking spot, etc), I put it in Drive, and it just feels like its bound up. It doesnt have a delay as I can sit there for infinite amount of time (ive only tried it for about a minute), and nothing happens. I have to give it throttle and then it kind of slams forward. my other option is cycle it back to reverse, then back to drive and then it works fine. Only happens first time on startup.

Reverse has no delay at all, and it shifts fine otherwise. SCT says its in 1st when it does this binding thing. 20k since a fluid flush when I did my swap, and maybe 5k since I put an upgraded direct drive solenoid in to cure soft 3-5 shifts, but I eventually just had the shifts firmed up via a tune. so anyways fluid is basically new, looks fine. Truck has 178k on it, I assume the trans is original.

Line pressure solenoid?

2006 F-250 King Ranch 24 Valve Cummins 5R110
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 01:56 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: 5R110 "Binding" when going to D after reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CumminsKingRanch View Post
an upgraded direct drive solenoid in to cure soft 3-5 shifts,
I believe that's your problem. Others have reported the same issue with the "upgraded" solenoid.
Zmann likes this.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 02:21 AM
Administrator

you couldn't give me one of those "upgraded" solenoids

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Youd think it would have been doing that as soon as I put it in? I guess it comes down to which solenoid to waste money on first.....

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 12:20 PM
PSN Local

You can measure the line pressure...as first option... but i would sink my money into a stock dd solenoid since you are firming up the shifts with the SCT.
Would like to know the results with whichever path you take. A few of us have a modified DD sitting on the shelf since no one can figure out why they don't work.

Sean
2005 F250 Harley CC SB Banks IQ, 4" Exhaust, Banks Techi Cooler with High Ram, Cold Air Intake, Cat Delete,EGR Delete,Coolant Filter,Amsoil Oil Filter Bypass, PHP ECM Rollback, PHP FICM Tuner, WW2,Rancho 9000XL shocks. Firestone Air Springs w/Daystar Cradles. 224K
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:34 AM
Administrator

i would agree if it was bad you would expect it right off the bat but i have 0 trst in the modified units so ?

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I think I found the problem

Yep thats a hole in the bellhousing.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 03:40 AM
Administrator

ok thats bad
but Ford will take that as a core just FYI

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
ok thats bad
but Ford will take that as a core just FYI
I heard what sounded like a rock hitting the underside a few weeks back, now I know what it was lol. I havent pulled it yet but I suspect a weight flew off the converter? It doesnt leak. Maybe a pump bolt backed out. Kind odd really.

I might buy one of these used trannys off ebay that claim to be super low miles from ex govt vehicles for aroubd $700. Most are from econolines I assume it would work.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 01:37 AM
Administrator

I looked at those when mine went out

I decided to pay more and just get the Ford reman

curious to know what happened to yours

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode