transmission trouble - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

transmission trouble

ive got a 2007 250 with 116,000 miles on it no tuning or anything. Everytime i start my truck up it goes into drive but has trouble shifting, acting like it wont. once the truck gets warmed up its fine but its a problem when its first started. truck also idles funny sometimes but not usually and longer to start sometimes. maybe FICM? i dont know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Strokin all day

Re: transmission trouble

Any more info? Tuned, not tuned? Is it just slipping bad, slamming gears? How's the trans fluid look? Honestly I'd take it to a good trans shop.

Could be solonoids, the tcm or the torque converter. It's weird that it shifts fine when warm but not cold.

08 F350 Spartan tuned, egr delete, 5 in turbo back, no limit cai, ccv, cac pipe, bd 6.0 manifolds, bd up pipes, coolant filter.
3 vehicles in the scrap yard.
1 cummins sold to some boner next town over.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 01:52 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: transmission trouble

How could it be the torque converter? What does that have to do with shifting?

This is actually a common issue with the 6.0L. The problem is that the engine isn't making the right power when cold. Once it warms up it's fine. The transmission was programmed to have the proper power at all temperatures. It's going to shift very late, if at all, if the engine is significantly down on power when cold.

I don't know enough about what causes that to tell you how to fix the engine. But I can tell you that you'll waste a lot of money if you try to fix the transmission. There's nothing wrong with it.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode