5R110W 3-5 shift slams everytime I change tunes - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
6.ohdamn

5R110W 3-5 shift slams everytime I change tunes

Well, the title says it all, the truck is a 2004.5 6.0 powerstroke with a 2005 transmission. The transmission is having an odd problem that no one has an answer to. I live in Indiana and not a single diesel shop or ford dealer around has a clue to why it does this. No matter what, everytime i change tunes, it being stock, performance canned on sct, or my custom tunes the trucks transmission slams the 3 to 5 shift, ive tried the relearn procedure multiple times, the only way it goes away is to drive it easy, after you let it slam that shift a few times, it starts to clear up, but isnt truly gone for like 30 to 40 miles. I personal change tunes often and this is getting annoying haha, i just bought this truck and i never had this problem on my other 6.0 i had before it. The nearest diesel shop told me the pervious owner replaced the transmission and it did the same thing with the old tranny as well. Im at a lose, and if someone could maybe shed some light, i would very much appreciate it! Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 03:31 AM
Administrator

Re: 5R110W 3-5 shift slams everytime I change tunes

you have the option to change the 3-5 shifts on the SCT in most tunes

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
6.ohdamn

Yeah i tried that, it doesnt really help, and i cant change it when im in stock tuning.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:25 PM
Administrator

well Maybe we will get lucky and one of the original 5R engineers Mark K will help us

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
6.ohdamn

Man i hope so, this has got me all confused.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 12:36 AM
Administrator

Mine did that a few times when cold but cold like first drive ambient 70

so no clue why but it would seem to hang rpm's increase then engage the next gear
with a violent slam I changed tuners and that helped a ton but every now and then i would leave the house and i could feel it reving between gears so if i was quick i could let off the throttle and be fine if not it would slam and ( pucker)

i did mess with the SCT and finally had it so it would barley ever occur

now ask me what I am doing this weekend ? yup replacing the tranny

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
6.ohdamn

Oh damn, hope i dont have to do that anytime soon! Thats what im wanting to avoid haha. With mine, after you drive it the 30 or 40 miles, it wont ever slip or slam again even when cold, unless i change the tune..then its back. Its crazy!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 12:35 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

The learning process adapts the pressure to get the shift to happen smoothly. When you change the engine's output torque with a tune, whether it is more or less pressure, everything that was learned is now wrong. It was learned for a different torque curve. It needs to relearn. When I read the title of this thread I thought, "Of course that's going to happen!"

You might have better results if you clear the memory when you change tunes. It learns faster when the memory is cleared.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 02:38 PM
Administrator

interesting although he stated He has tried the "learning " process multiple times

OP did you kill the KAM by disconnecting the batteries ?

then do the by the book procedure ?

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
6.ohdamn

Yeah, i have tried reseting the KAM once when changing tunes, didnt help, i try the book procedure everytime i change tunes. The thing i dont understand is that my other 6.0 never did this, not even once. There has to be something wrong haha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode