5R110 cooler flow test and line psi - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

5R110 cooler flow test and line psi

so I am replacing my Tranny with a reman from Ford

I bought a new OTA cooler but have to flush back flush the
OTC radiator cooler due to debris

once I am done i will be installing a filter at the return line just before it enters the trans

but I want to check the flow can i use the same method our favorite former
Ford Engineer describes for the 4R100

Quote:
There needs to be a minimum of one gallon per minute through the cooling circuit. The way to test this is with a helper and two containers. Remove the line at the rear of the trans and aim it into the first container. Have your helper start the engine. Once the flow is solid move the line to the second container for exactly 15 seconds the put it back in the first container. Shut the engine off. If there is at least a quart in the second container there is enough flow. I'd do this with the new cooler installed to make sure it works. If there is fluid spraying out of the transmission when you do this it fails regardless of how much flow you get.

and I will be checking line psi at the test port after install

Range idle stall
P/N 50 ----
R 100 320
D 70 320
3 80 260
2 80 215
1 80 270

thanks
Z

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:37 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: 5R110 cooler flow test and line psi

That test won't work for a 5R110. The flow rate with the trans below 170F is 10% of the flow rate above 170F. How would you know if the thermostat opened or closed while the test is running? And I don't have the flow rate for the 5R110. Below 170F it's going to be less than the 4R100, above 170F it's going to be quite a bit higher. But I don't have actual numbers.

Checking line pressure is good, checking cooler circuit pressure doesn't have much meaning.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

thanks Mark

I found some details in the OEM manuals

really the only reason I care about the flow rate is it is an OEM requirement
for their remanufactured transmissions

and really the only part in question is the lower cooler since I did not replace it
Quote:

2005 5r110

Remove the fluid level indicator from the fluid filler tube.
Place a funnel in the fluid filler tube.
Raise and support the vehicle.
Disconnect the cooler return tube (rear fitting) from the transmission case.
Install a suitable plug into the rear case fitting.
Connect one end of a hose to the cooler return tube and route the other end of the hose up to a point where it can be inserted into the funnel at the fluid filler tube.
Remove the supports and lower the vehicle.
Insert the end of a hose into the funnel.
Start the engine and run at idle with the transmission in the NEUTRAL range.
Once a steady flow of fluid (without air bubbles) is observed, remove the hose from the funnel and place the hose in a measuring container for 15 seconds. After 15 seconds, place the hose back into the funnel and turn the engine off. Measure the amount of fluid in the container.

Temperature Flow
44C (112F) 236.6 ml (8 oz) 15 sec
78C (172F) 473.2 ml (16 oz) 15 sec
82C (180F) and up 1893 ml (64 oz) 15 sec

There is a temperature valve in the pump. Cooler flow rates will vary according to automatic transmission fluid temperature. The use of a diagnostic tool will determine the actual fluid temperature. If adequate flow is observed into the container, the test is now complete

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

the line pressure stall test has a interesting procedure I am sure I missed something like drive line removal ? still reading up on that one since it's 110* outside I don't have anything better to do

place blocks at wheels

D 1 2 3 to WOT Wide Open Throttle AKA stall psi

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 02:07 PM
PSN Veteran

Is the gallon per minute spec applicable to the OBS 7.3 E4OD?

1996 F250 CCSB, 4x4, auto PSD, stainless window vents.

Signature file limitations keep me from sharing more information. Follow this link to find my threads: D60 RSK install, Air vent cleaning, etc.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 08:52 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leojr View Post
Is the gallon per minute spec applicable to the OBS 7.3 E4OD?
The E4OD spec is one gallon per minute according to my memory.

Mark

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 12:34 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
The E4OD spec is one gallon per minute according to my memory.
Thanks!

I have a 13 row trans cooler from a SD (maybe a van?) and also a similar sized 4739 TruCool that I am considering installing in series but want to verify that I did not add too much restriction.

Signature file limitations keep me from sharing more information. Follow this link to find my threads: D60 RSK install, Air vent cleaning, etc.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 12:59 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

You'll have too much restriction. That's not a good idea. If you insist on two coolers, make them in parallel. That's not as bad as in series.

Mark

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 03:22 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
If you insist on two coolers, make them in parallel.
Understood.

The choice of the word "insist" makes me believe that either cooler may be sufficient and the two are not necessary?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 02:05 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Two have the possibility of cooling less than one cooler. If there is enough restriction with two coolers in series the cooler bypass will open and the fluid will not go to the coolers.

If you want to improve your cooling replace the cooler you have with a cooler from a 6.0L F-Series.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode