Transmission help needed - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Randy lott

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Transmission help needed

I have a 2000 f250 with 202k miles. Just had trans rebuilt and put it back in. Everything went well but it wants to take off in third. When u put it in d it tries to start off in d. Put it in first and it starts in first and shifts through fine manually. I am totally stumped. Ford showed no trans codes. Just some on tc which does work. Checked pcm and it it's fine. I am hoping someone out there has run into the same situation and can point me in right direction. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: Transmission help needed

What codes did it have?

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

No codes. Just dropped it off at the tranny shop that did the rebuild. The pcm seams to be telling tranny to start in first but it definately isn't. He is puzzled for sure but said he would figure it out. Thanks for asking

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 01:18 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy lott View Post
Ford showed no trans codes. Just some on tc which does work.
This is where I got confused. You said it didn't have codes, except it did have codes. So it has codes? Or it doesn't have codes?

If it isn't starting in first gear it should have some codes stored.

You may not have power to the solenoids. That would make it start in fourth gear, not third. How do you know it's in third gear?

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Sorry. Ford showed 4 codes all addressing the transfer case. 4x4 does work. The code were in the 1800s like 1820 and I don't have the rest available right now. The tranny guys machine did not show any trans codes. He drove it with scanner hooked up. When he got back he said the pcm actually showed it in first at take off but it definitely was in third. It does have power to solenoid pack. I hope to hear from him tomorrow and will be sure to keep you updated. He couldn't see why it didn't throw any codes. By the way. I figured the Tc codes may have been because I didn't unhook batteries when I pulled trans out. They didn't come up in his machine.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Mark. I am glad you showed interest in this mystery as I have done a lot of researching on here and checked a lot of things you have posted for others and hopefully ruled out some issues before taking it back to the shop. When you put selector in first it takes off in first. Second and it takes off in second. Third and it takes off in third. I am thinking something is wrong in new solenoid pack but I am no mechanic.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Mystery solved! Tranny guy called and said my truck was good to go. He replaced the new solenoid pack and everything works great. He still doesn't know why it was acting like it did and not throwing any trans codes but now the trans is doing what the computer tells it to. Long story short, if you loose forward gears, have the pack checked before you pay for a rebuild. Might save a to of money and get a little more time out of your transmission. Have to give a big shout to Smith Transmissions in Bradford Arkansas! Tim is a great guy and will build it like you want it! And for a lot less money! Thanks y'all
Zmann likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode