Transmission Trouble - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Funrunner99

Transmission Trouble

Sooooo, The truck had the OD light on the shifter flashing and had a code that said the torque converter was slipping. I took it to a shop and they confirmed the code and recommended I change the converter.

I installed a new Banks torque converter & Banks TransCommand. I also installed a new main valve body/lower valve body that has an updated 2-3 valve body that a friend of mine had.

Anyhow, took it for a drive, to break in the converter per Banks instructions. They tell you to accelerate mildly from 20-50 about 10 pr 15 times to break it in. Transmission felt really really loose, slipping in first especially. The indicator light that the converter was slipping is out so that's good but something is definitely wrong. Trans temp climbed to over 200 degrees by the time I got it back home which is definitely not normal. Pretty frustrated right now.

When the slipping converter light was on before I took the trans out the converter was slipping per the light but the shifting & everything else was solid. Now it's way loose so I don't know if something in the new valve body is causing it or what. I was extremely careful with the wiring of the TransCommand controller so I don't think that should be causing the issue. It comes with a bypass connector for testing & such so I am going to try bypassing the module next.

Any ideas???

1997 F350 Regency Crew Cab Dually 7.3, Auto with Baumann deep finned aluminum pan, K&N filter, DJM 3" front drop Dream Beams & rear hanger & shackle kit, 3" downpipe, 4" MBRP Single Exhaust out to 5" tip. 3 pod pillar mount with Autometer Pyro, Trans Temp & Boost guages.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TT 306, Tremec TKO 600 5 spd, lots of fun!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 02:25 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: Transmission Trouble

First, I don't know what a converter light is. I've never heard of that.

Next, breaking in a torque converter is news to me. I've never heard of that, either. Maybe I need to learn about automatic transmissions.

And the TransCommand I won't even comment on that, other to say that if something went wrong in the TransCommand, or if you made a mistake wiring it, it could cause what you're seeing. So could a problem with the valve body you installed.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode