4R100 FIX? or replace? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Question 4R100 FIX? or replace?

Hello,

And yes I am new here! I have a 2001 F-250 SD 2-wheel drive Extended Cab Short Bed with a 7.3 Turbo Diesel and the 4R100 Automatic with Overdrive.

The truck has been sitting for a while because the transmission refuses to upshift from 2nd to third.

The truck has about 190K miles and I am debating on whether to break my bank and go for a remanufactured transmission or taking into a reliable shop and have them do a diagnostic on the transmission and see if there is something simple that can be done?

I read that the valve body may be the culprit with the 2-3 valve being stuck? I have never had the pan off the trans or any service to the trans since I owned the truck as the 2nd owner.

What years of transmissions will be identical? Is is 1999 to 2004? I thought the 7.3 Turbo was phased out in 2002? (anyone know?)

A reman trans is going to run me close to $3 grand. Not sure I want to put that into it but then used transmissions scare me!

So....What are your ideas here? Thanks! Bob in VA

2001 F-250 7.3 Turbo, 2-wheel drive , Extended Cab Short Bed, Automatic, 192K miles, Stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 04:46 PM
PSN Local

Re: 4R100 FIX? or replace?

190k and you have not had the pan off isn't a good start. If you're in Alexandria like your signature says.. take it to Superior Transmissions in Silver Spring, MD. Very good service and very reasonable prices. They have done 3 different trucks for me with 4R100 and E4OD and always stood by their work and very good people to deal with

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode