Weird, E4OD dropping into neutral randomly - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Bigfoot is an OBS

Weird, E4OD dropping into neutral randomly

Several months ago I started having trouble with the transmission acting like it was in neutral. It happened at random times of the day, different weather, different gears, different operating temps, different ambient temps, etc... It might not shift 1-2, or I might be in 3rd or 4th with TC locked and suddenly, nothing. Sometimes if I backed out of the pedal and then back in it was fine, other times, not.
I couldn't figure it out. There were no codes, no CEL, and no TCIL. Nothing to indicate that something was wrong.
The only way I could get home one evening was pull it down into manual 2 and lock the TC.
Then it quit doing it. Just suddenly while I was testing stuff, it quit acting up. It was perfect for several weeks.

I drove all the way to Florida (~1100 mile trip one way) without any problems at all.
Then on the way back, it did it. I was on the interstate doing between 70 and 80 mph with the cruise set, and suddenly, the cruise kicked off and the engine went to idle. I stepped back on the pedal, and it took right back off, so I didn't give it a second thought. But it did it again, but that time I happened to be driving manually, so the RPMS went way up.
Never in all this time did the lever ever so much as flinch, much less get bumped into neutral.
So I drove home with it occassionally dropping into neutral.
It seemed to be more prone to doing this when the weather was wet.

I talked with Brian (BTS) about it, and he reccomended to change the filter and put in 8qts (4r100 pan) of fluid. I did, but a week later it did it again.
So I called him back, and he asked me a few more questions, and suggested that I try replacing the transmission range position sensor (sometimes known as MLPS).
Apparently, the E4OD uses a set of resistors in the sensor that create the appropriate voltage for the gear selected. But, the 4r100 uses a different system that is more reliable. For some reason he thought mine was a 4R100, so he hadn't thought of it when I first called.

The F5TZ-7A247-B is what I got from the local dealership, about $100.

It's been two weeks now, and it hasn't given a hint of trouble.

Go ARMY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: Weird, E4OD dropping into neutral randomly

That's a common problem with the older analog sensor. As it wears the resistance in the contacts increases and the sensor will intermittently indicate N. It is REALLY hard to catch this with diagnostics. It is one of the few cases where I recommend changing the part without proof that it is the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode