Installed remanufactured trans, but won't move! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Installed remanufactured trans, but won't move!

I have been searching the site, but have not found a related topic. I just installed a new ford remanufactured 4R100 in my 99 PSD and the it won't engage any gear. Everything seems normal.
1. It starts right up.
2. Fluid pressure is at the test port is just over 50 psi in park at idle. 3. Of course the drive shafts are installed (would that be funny).
4. I can hear the transfer case shift when I move from 2wd to 4wd.
5. The idle changes as I move the shifter from park to rev, to neutral, to drive.
6. Fluid level is good.
7. Wiring harness connected.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might prevent power getting to the wheels? Is it possible that the PCM needs a reflash for a newer version of the transmission? I am at a loss and welcome any thoughts? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 07:22 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: Installed remanufactured trans, but won't move!

It has nothing to do with the PCM. The PCM can't prevent engagements.

How much fluid did you put in it?

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

According to Ford, the remanufactured transmission comes full of fluid, including the torque converter. I checked it on the dip stick before starting the engine to ensure that was some in it. The dip stick indicated the level at the cold mark. Also there was some leakage during installation from the cooler lines. I was prepared to top it off to compensate for the replaced cooler volume, but have not gotten that far.

I guess what I am saying is that I am unsure of the exact amount in the unit, but I think there is enough to get it to engage.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:05 PM
PSN Local

YOU MIGHT HAVE A PROBLEM IN THE TRANSFER CASE, YOU COULD CHECK BY RUNNING THE ENGINE SHIFT TO REVERSE OR DRIVE AND THEN QUICKLY BACK TO PARK. YOU SHOULD HEAR SOME NOISE WHEN YOU SHIFT TO PARK IF THE OUTPUT SHAFT IS TURNING.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the responses-
I can't hear any noise, but the whole garage is pretty noise with the engine running. I did discover that it won't go into 4WD LOW. As I said earlier, I can hear it shift out of 4WD. Maybe it is not the transfer case that i am hearing. It is really possible for the transfer case not to transmit the power since there is no neutral? I did add another quart of fluid. Now the level is a little high, so I am sure there is enough.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

-I have got to start checking my spelling and typing before hitting the POST button...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 02:19 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Are you checking the fluid level with the engine running and the trans in park?

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yes, in park with engine running. Of course it is not at normal operating temperature. I took another look at the test port pressure. It was right at 65psi.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I am beginning to think that maybe Ford didn't put fluid in the torque converter. I believe that the pump would still work and generate pressure in the trans, but the main shaft would never couple. Mark, your questions about fluid level started me down this path. Can you confirm? I can't check it until tomorrow, thankfully it is supposed to stay warm for a few days! Thanks for any input.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 03:44 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

I can confirm that what you're guessing is impossible. The pump fills the torque converter. If the engine runs and there is pressure at the test port then the torque converter is filled. If the converter wasn't filled the pump would work until it emptied the pan into the converter, then you'd have no pressure.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode