5R Transmission and ABS system issues... Looking for some insight - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

5R Transmission and ABS system issues... Looking for some insight

Posting for a friend ( Moderator at the Org see thread here
Transmission and ABS system issues... Looking for some insight - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Quote:
Transmission and ABS system issues... Looking for some insight
Looking for some help narrowing down some issues I have been having with my 04, any insight and knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

A little while back I started having issues with my truck, the ABS light would come on periodically and go away. I also started noticing that the truck would take 3 seconds to shift into reverse. It was that bad at first but then the truck developed a small 3-5 shift flare and the tow/haul light would come on. It got worse over time so I parked the truck because I didn't want to do any more damage then what might already have been done and I wanted to research some things so I could fix it.

During the time it was parked I kept the batteries charged and would start the truck periodically and let it run. I read about the shift flare learned about a potential issue with a direct drive solenoid and the rear speed sensor. I tried pulling codes with my SGII and my Torque app but got nothing obviously since neither of them will pull transmission or ABS codes. I am working on getting an AE so I can get more information than what my gauges, SGII, and Torque app can show me.

Today I finally drove the truck to see what is going on. Before I drove it I took the transmission harness plug off of the side of the trans and cleaned it with electric contac cleaner to see if that would help anything. During the drive it was doing the same thing it did before as far as the 3-5 flare, but started acting even worse when I came to stop and tried to drive forward. The truck acted like it didn't want to move much at all, the rpms would go up and the truck would not much like it should, then it held the rpms up around 3k then shift funky. Once that started the tow/haul started flashing constantly, the ABS light was still on constantly as well. I got to a place where I could turned the truck off then restart it. When I restarted it the tow/haul light went away but the ABS light was still on. I started to head back to the house and the truck was driving better then it all happened again. I was able to limp it to Auto Zone and they happened to have a scanner that would pull transmission and ABS codes. They pulled three codes, C1230 - ABS rear speed sensor, B1676 - battery voltage out of range, and C1185 - ABS power relay output circuit failure. They had a speed sensor in stock so I picked it up and swapped it out when I got home. The ABS light is now gone, but when I took the truck for a test drive it started acting the same and the tow/haul light started flashing again. Another thing that is odd is when I pulled up to Auto Zone I could hear a weird sound on the driver side of the truck that sounded like a loud electrical buzzing or ticking sound. After my test drive I parked the truck and left it running while I looked for the sound and it definitely sounds like it is coming from somewhere on the driver side, not exactly sure where though.

I was already preparing myself to replace the direct drive solenoid to see if that fixed my issue and have a buddy of mine that has a trans core that I can get rebuilt but the ABS issues are throwing me for a loop. Could the ABS issues be the cause of my trans issues or do I have a combination of both? I hate just throwing parts at things, I've learnd that lesson in the past, and I need to get the truck fixed as soon as possible.

From what I have researched the codes I have are all ABS related but I am trying to figure out if they are also related to my transmission issues. If anyone has any thoughts or experience with any of this please chime in.

Thank you in advance!!
RS

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 09:04 PM
PSN Newb

Re: 5R Transmission and ABS system issues... Looking for some insight

Thanks for sharing this over here Z.

If anyone has any thoughts or knowledge on my issues please share, I would greatly appreciate it!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 09:06 PM
PSN Newb

Wow, I have been registered here for a couple years and that was my first post here. Lol... I could have sworn I had posted here before.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Welcome to the again

you have been here as long as I have

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 09:43 PM
PSN Newb

Lol...

I just looked at my profile and saw that I joined in 2010, maybe I should start post more. Lol
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 10:08 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

You need to get the transmission codes read. Autozone may have said they can read them, but that's just because they don't have any idea of what they can and cannot do. They CANNOT read transmission codes. You have a flashing tow/haul light. That indicates there are transmission codes. But they didn't report any.

You need those codes to diagnose this. Without the codes all I can tell you is to start buying parts until you get lucky. You could be into many thousands of dollars before you get lucky.
Zmann and Rattlesnake18 like this.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 11:08 PM
PSN Newb

Thanks for your reply Mark. I already figured they weren't pulling all the codes that are present. Yesterday was the first time I have ever had an auto parts store try to pull codes on my truck, at least they were able to give me some codes for the ABS system.

In your opinion, do you think my trans and ABS system issues have any relation or do you think they are two differ issues of their own?

I also have a question that I am hoping you can answer since I have not found any info on it.... Why is the bolt on the passenger side of the transmission that holds the trans harness plug on tapered in the middle? I took the plug off to check and clean it and ended up snapping the bolt in half trying to loosen it. I was going easy with it and thought I had done it without an issue until half of the bolt fell out. It snapped right in the middle where it a smaller diameter. I called the local Ford house and they found the part number but didn't have it instock and told me that the one bolt was $32.67, so I went to NAPA and found a bolt that would work. Could that bolt have anything to do with some of the issues that were not there before yesterday?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 01:52 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

I don't know why the bolt is like that. The bolt almost certainly isn't the cause of this problem, but once you have the codes the picture will be much clearer.

The trans and ABS issues are most likely one problem. The codes will tell the story.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 01:56 AM
PSN Newb

10-4... I will get the truck properly scanned and report back.

Thanks for the insight Mark!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 01:33 AM
PSN Newb

Update...

Changed the fluid and filters the other weekend, fluid didn't look too bad and didn't smell burned, it was still red although kinda a darker red. Swapped in a shift solenoid from a donor trans and everything seemed to be good to go, tow/haul light didn't flash anymore, no hesitation when shifting into reverse or drive and no more flare feeling from 3-5. Drove the truck around for a bit on stock then decided to load a tune. Took the truck for a spin again and noticed a very slight 3-5 issue but nothing like before. Got on the highway and got up to speed just fine, gave it some throttle from 70mph and it kind of felt like it held a gear a little longer than usual then shifted kind of funny. I exited and turned around to get back on the highway, got on it and it was pulling good, RPMs were about 2.5k when I heard a sound like the truck hit the rev limiter then it shifted really quick. I got off the highway and waited at a stop light, when the light turned green started to go and turn but the truck didn't feel like it wanted to go very much. Came to another, stopped, then when I left the light going slow it felt fine again. Drove about 35mph to my next turn, after I turned I was easy on the throttle, got up to about 40mph and just let off the throttle to coast and a few seconds later the truck down shifted real quick like I was in tow/haul coming down a grade in the mountains then up shifted real quick.

I took the truck home, scratching my head because these issues were different than the ones I had before. I decided to put the truck back to stock and replace the speed sensor on the top of the trans with the one off of the donor trans and give it another try, same thing. I then decided to unhook the batteries for a bit to try to reset things. After about an hour or so I hooked the batteries back up and took it for a drive again. I still had similar issues but this time the tow/haul light would come on from time to time but not for long. I figured that the tune isn't the issue so I loaded my tune again that does not have the adaptive learning turned off and have been driving it easy to see if the trans needs to learn some with the different sensors and solenoid. The truck is drivable and the trans temp doesn't get above 160 but it still acts odd. It doesn't feel like a 3-5 flare issues since it acts up in different gears. From a dead stop if I roll into the throttle hard it acts like if doesn't want to really go, when going from 3-5 the rpms go up kind of like a 3-5 flare but not really, when going at a constant speed on the highway and then letting off the throttle it down shifts real quick then up shifts again.

I was finally able to take the truck to the shop at my work to have the mechanics hookup a scanner to the truck to pulls trans codes and nothing came up. I had them scan for engine codes to and nothing. They use a Nexiq scanner for our entire fleet so I am pretty damn sure if there was something going on with a sensor or something it would have shown up.

I am really baffled now.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode