E40D cooler plugged? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Send a message via Yahoo to sparksf250
E40D cooler plugged?

I have a 96 F259 4x4 I installed my trans temp gauge thsi weekend. Now that its in I'm seeing a constant temp of around 200-215. Outside temp is about 30-35f. I''m not pulling a load, not really running the truck hard. The trans has never shifted funny, or slipped for me what so ever? I keep seeing people here saying that temp should only be about 100 degrees warmer than the outside temp. By the way the sender is in the "test" port on the left side of trans. Oil looks and smells fine. Truck has 181k on it noting done to trans that I know of. Just wondering if the cooler could be plugged causeing this higher temp? If I decide to bypass the stock cooler do I need to worry aobut not getting the heat from the rad in the winter here in Ohio? Thanks in advance.

96 F250 183k miles, rebuilt E4OD, Autometer gauges, 3" DP to 4" MBRP exhaust, Tymar, bulldog pos 6 position soon to come off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 02:29 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: E40D cooler plugged?

The radiator does not provide heat for the transmission. It only cools the ATF no matter what the outside temperature is.

You probably do have a plugged cooler.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Mark thanks.

96 F250 183k miles, rebuilt E4OD, Autometer gauges, 3" DP to 4" MBRP exhaust, Tymar, bulldog pos 6 position soon to come off

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Do you guys think that I'm better off to just put an external cooler and add a filter instead of flushing out the stock one?

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 05:28 PM
PSN Veteran

an external trans cooler? if so then yes.

02 f250
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

yea an external trans cooler. With or without an inline filter? Sorry of this has been discussed before I'm fairly new here.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Oh so after letting my truck set for almost 3 weeks now can someone tell me how to safely unplug my coolers if thats the case? Thanks in advance

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Bigfoot is an OBS

You would be best off cleaning out the cooler that is inside the radiator.
Oil to water coolers are much more efficient than the oil to air coolers. Since the ATF is a liquid (as opposed to a fluid), and the coolant is also a liquid, and they have similar heat transfer properties at operating temperatures (or at least closer than ATF and air), the cooler can transfer more heat to the coolant than it could with a same sized cooler cooling with just air. The properties of the coolant are also closer to that of air than the ATF, so the coolant can transfer the heat more efficiently. Oh, and the coolant already has a gar-huge cooler. That helps too.
The oil-to-air cooler then takes care of the rest of the heat.
plumbing around the OTw cooler is like being in the middle of the summer in Phoenix, dress in artic Carharts. Yea, you've got some cooling action happening, but not near enough to offset the heat generation. You need for the sweat to evaporate to cool you off. If the sweat (transmission fluid) can't get from your skin (transmission) to the air (OTW cooler) fast enough (flow rate), it can't transfer enough heat fast enough to keep you (transmission) cool. At which point you boil in your own skin.

To clean it:
Shop compressed air with nozzle
Brake Cleaner, several bottles
shop rags
2 liter bottle

Start by disconnecting the lines from the transmission.
Put the end of one line into the bottle and wrap a shop rag around the nec & tube. This keeps crap from splashing back out.
Spray brake cleaner into the other tube until it starts coming back out at you. Then used the compressed air and blow it through the tube & cooler until no more fluid makes it's way into the bottle.
Depending on how full the bottle is, you may have to empty it now.
Repeat with the brake cleaner and the compressed air until nothing more comes out.
Then keep blowing air through it to thoroughly clean and dry the cooler for another minute or two.
Hook it all back up, top off the transmission fluid, and go.

Note, you do NOT want to put any sort of pressurized air through the cooler. Doing so you risk blowing the cooler. You only want the air to carry the debris and brake cleaner away from the cooler.

Then if you still want to, add an OTA cooler. The Super Duty 6.0L trans cooler or the V10 cooler are popular ones to use.

Go ARMY!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for the input this shouldnt be as bad as I thought that it would be. So when I blow air though the lines should I just barely crack the air on the gun so that I dont hurt anything?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_dan View Post
Since the ATF is a liquid (as opposed to a fluid)
What is the difference between a fluid and a liquid? I didn't know there was a difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode