E4OD Forward Clutch failure; what to check for? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

E4OD Forward Clutch failure; what to check for?

First off, let me give you some details about the truck. It's a '97 F-250, 7.3L, E4OD, 4X4, former fleet truck with 341,000 miles on it. At some point in the truck's history, the transmission was replaced with a reman unit, though I'm not sure where it came from (Ford, Jasper, etc...). The truck has never had any kind of chip tuner, or any kind of power-adder put on it. Only modification, is a homemade intake (that is soon going "bye-bye"). Still has the stock downpipe and exhaust system too! I bought it with 339,000 on the clock, then after putting 2000 miles on it, the ol gal decided she didn't like moving forward anymore.
Pulled the transmission, tore it down and found the forward clutch and drum pretty well junked. I haven't ordered any parts yet, but I'm seriously considering a RacerX rebuild kit, a TransGo Tugger kit, and an auxiliary cooler, on top of a new forward clutch drum, and any other hard parts I need to buy. My question though is what all should I check, inspect, examine, etc. to make sure the forward clutch doesn't cook itself in short order? I don't want to tear this transmission down again any time soon. Your thoughts, if any?
Thanks!
--RC

1997 F-250 SCFB, 4X4, E4OD 341,000 all stock miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 11:49 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: E4OD Forward Clutch failure; what to check for?

When a transmission is torn down it doesn't make sense to me to put ANY part back in without checking it. Every seal should be replaced, along with every friction element. The rebuild kit should include all of these parts.

My guess is that the forward clutch failed either due to a mechanical break or a seal failed. Those are common reasons, but so is getting stuck in the snow or mud and rocking it out.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks Mark!
I've checked all the sealing rings, lip seals, feed bolts and passages specific to the Forward Clutch, but I can't find anything obvious that explains why the clutch failed. Is there something I'm overlooking?

This isn't the first transmission I've been inside of, but it is the first E4OD. My expertise is more on John Deere and Case PowerShift transmissions than anything else.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 03:41 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

No, nothing in particular. What failed? Did the drum break? Did the frictions wear out?

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I'll post pics/video as soon as I can, but the best way to describe it was that the clutch burned up. Frictions and steels welded together, then spun inside the drum and cut a groove in it. I'm sure it damaged the hub too, because I can't get the friction/steel group off of it. The piston, and it's seal looked good, too. Could the extra check ball I pm'ed you about have any effect on the forward clutch? I don't have a fluid path diagram, so I have no idea.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 02:08 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Anything wrong in the valve body can cause a trans failure. It depends where the extra ball was and what that did for clutch pressure.

Mark

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

In reference to the photo (page 62 of the ATSG manual) my transmission has the 5 checkballs in the valve body like a '96-'98 should have, but the CASE has 9 checkballs in it like a '90-'95 would have.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Bump.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode