2010 F-350 Transmission Filters - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

2010 F-350 Transmission Filters

I own a 2010 Ford F-350, 6.4L 4x4 DRW King Ranch with roughly 52,000 miles. The VIN states that it has two transmission filters - one that is accessible by dropping the pan, and one that is external.

Iíve looked through You Tube videos and found one that shows the location of the external transmission filter on a 2007 model, but canít find anything for the 2010.

Iíve looked for the external filter under the truck, but canít seem to locate it.

Would anyone have a photo, video or drawing as to where this external transmission filter is located?

Second question. I have heard that having the transmission completely flushed might not be a good idea, and that it is better to just drain what is drainable, change the filters and add new fluid to the proper level.

If I have the flush done, it will be at a Ford Dealer. Does anyone have an opinion as to doing the full flush verses just draining, replacing filters and adding new fluid. I know that without the flush, you do not get all of the fluid out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Re: 2010 F-350 Transmission Filters

a 2010 will only have the internal filter or a 5r110W not a 5r110 dual filter

it is easy to tell the difference yours will have a paper media visible

how many miles on your fluid ?

the heated flush is only as good as the people and machine doing it
so a an drop and fluid change then a drain and fluid fill is an option if the fluid still looks good
IMO

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
a 2010 will only have the internal filter or a 5r110W not a 5r110 dual filter

it is easy to tell the difference yours will have a paper media visible

how many miles on your fluid ?

the heated flush is only as good as the people and machine doing it
so a an drop and fluid change then a drain and fluid fill is an option if the fluid still looks good
IMO

Thanks for the reply.

I drained the pan and changed the filter at 25,000. So, this filter and fluid has roughly 30,000 on it. I used Amsoil which means I have a mix of Ford's and Amsoil's fluid. I think I'm going to just drain the pan, drop it, change the internal filter and fill it back up. Which oil would you suggest using?

It's interesting that Ford is showing an external filter for my VIN, and the service scheduler at Ford said it has an external and internal filter. Doesn't really give me a great deal of confidence in letting them touch my transmission...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 10:05 AM
PSN Local

I read somewhere on here that mixing fluids may be an issue?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 01:07 PM
Administrator

the other external filter was under the bell housing ( coke can) and was only used for a short time until the in pan real filter change vs the screen the mid -08 had

your 2010 is not anywhere near the range of the changeover IDK why your VIN is showing a remote ? the only other time they installed an optional filter was after a transmission replacement they used to spec an inline filter (black can )

i don't see any advantage to using Amsoil here last I read it was 12 a QT and you still need to stick to the fluid change interval I can get Merrcon LV for under 5

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Administrator

one more thing is with a 2010 you service interval for the first service was 60,000 IRC ?
I do not remember what it is after the first one on yours

the previous years was 30,000 the only real changes were the fluid SP/LV and the in pan f

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode