Shift linkage positions on an e4od - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Shift linkage positions on an e4od

Hey guys I have a quick question, I just swapped out my e4od transmission for another fully functioning e4od. Did the swap and now the truck won't start because the transmission is not in park. (I am positive that is the issue) How do I align the shift linkage on the tranny to the steering column shifter? That's all I need to know on this one(what position does the shift linkage need to be in, all the way forward,back,middle?). Thanks guys!

99 F350 sclb 7.3 powerstroke SOLD
1997 F350 cclb 7.3 powerstroke - EDGE CTS Monitor, S&B Cold Air, TS 6 pos., 4" turbo back diamond eye dual exhaust to dual 7" black tips, more on the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: Shift linkage positions on an e4od

Ok I got that part figured out the gears are all lined up now. A new issue has developed. I cannot get park to engage from the column shifter. I have to manually set the truck in park from underneath the truck at the linkage. Any thoughts on fixing this issue?

1997 F350 cclb 7.3 powerstroke - EDGE CTS Monitor, S&B Cold Air, TS 6 pos., 4" turbo back diamond eye dual exhaust to dual 7" black tips, more on the way
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Anyone at all? Really need some help here as my car just took a dump unexpectedly.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 09:04 AM
Terminator Nation

You have to adjust the shift cable attachment point at the transmission so there is enough travel to engage the park position. There is a u-piece that locks the cable into position there. Remove the piece from the cable, adjust the cable with enough travel to engage Drive with the shift lever in Drive position and then put the u-piece retainer back in, locking the shifter cable in place.

Then you have to separately adjust the Tranmission Range Sensor (TRS) to agree with the transmission position. The TRS is the switch around the shifter shaft that comes out of the transmission.

http://broncozone.com/topic/23053-parknrd/

After a lot of unuseful info, this guy finally gets around to saying how to align the sensor. About the time you fall asleep (minute 7:00), he shows you the alignment marks. You have to count the detents to make sure the transmission is in neutral then mount the TRS with the marks aligned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24_AXAjjPWQ

If after all this the dash shift indicator doesn't line up with the transmission shift position, then you have to adjust the shift indicator cable. Its a little white cable from the steering column to the dash indicator. It hooks to the shifter linkage there with a loop. There's a small thumbwheel on the cable that you adjust the length of the cable to make the indicator line up with the transmission position.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thank You very much, that information was extremely helpful! I will get this fixed tonight and hopefully post up if I get it right. Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode