Flippermatic trans modification - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Flippermatic trans modification

Ok so after A lot of research I found that I could install three toggle switches and shifted my transmission and control over drive with the three toggle switches I have a video I'll be uploading shortly quick overview I bought three lighted toggle switches from O'Reilly's auto-parts a green blue and an amber the green is shift solenoid a blue shift solenoid b and Amber is transmission overdrive lock torque converter lock after three wire harnesses I realize thatmy PCM was bad it was not controlling my transmission or reading it so solenoid a wirewhich is orange with a yellow tracer and ship solenoid be wire which is purple with an orange tracer and torque converter lock which is purple with a yellow tracer all were cut and a wire ran from center of switch to wire plug side and top of toggle or power in was ran to negative on the battery after you have wired this configuration shifting is operated off toggle switches and torque converter needs to be in the on position to be unlocked off position for OD or torque lock videos and pics to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 06:19 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: Flippermatic trans modification

There are four solenoid you need to control, not including the pressure control solenoid. The trans will operate with the pressure control solenoid unpowered, but you can get into big trouble with that. More on that later.

You have shift solenoid A and shift solenoid B. With these two solenoids you can select any of the four forward gears, 1, 2, 3, or 4, where four is also overdrive.

There is a third solenoid to lock the torque converter. This has nothing at all to do with overdrive. You can lock the converter in any of the forward gears.

There is a fourth solenoid that you've neglected, the coast clutch. This provides engine braking when the transmission is in 1, 2, or 3 when the shift handle is in the OD position.

If you leave the pressure control solenoid unplugged it will default to maximum pressure. One big problem with this is if you ever move the shift handle to the 1 position. The forward clutch drum can't handle that much pressure and it will fail. Been there, done that.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 12:44 PM
PSN Veteran

Very interesting...

Is the pressure control solenoid an 'all or nothing' control or does it need to be variable like a valve?

And under what scenario is the high pressure called for?

1996 F250 CCSB, 4x4, auto PSD, stainless window vents.

Signature file limitations keep me from sharing more information. Follow this link to find my threads: D60 RSK install, Air vent cleaning, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 04:12 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

It is a variable pressure solenoid. It's job is to control line pressure.

High pressure is used during the shift, but at the right time. Add too much pressure at the wrong time and you can break things. If you don't have enough pressure during the shift, the clutch burns.
In a shift that lasts a half second the pressure may change 5 times.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 10:14 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
In a shift that lasts a half second the pressure may change 5 times.
A flippermatic shifter doesn't seems as simple as the OP presents.

But, is there a way to tell the computer to not make the shift it wants but to make the shift the operator wants?

Modulating the voltage to mimic the outputs of the MPLS would be rather easy.

The gear selector lever engages/disengages the Park pawl and physically determines Reverse, Neutral or Forward?

Plenty of threads discuss how to activate the Torque Converter lockup.

1996 F250 CCSB, 4x4, auto PSD, stainless window vents.

Signature file limitations keep me from sharing more information. Follow this link to find my threads: D60 RSK install, Air vent cleaning, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 10:38 PM
Administrator

to clarify He is talking about a

Quote:
I have a 95 f350 born in sept of 95 so it's obd2 it's also e40d

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:29 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leojr View Post
But, is there a way to tell the computer to not make the shift it wants but to make the shift the operator wants?
Sure. Just write custom software to get that done.

Quote:
Modulating the voltage to mimic the outputs of the MPLS would be rather easy.
You lost me here. Why not just use the voltage from the MLPS? And what would you do with it?

The MLPS has a unique voltage for each position, P, R, N, D, 2, 1.

Quote:
The gear selector lever engages/disengages the Park pawl and physically determines Reverse, Neutral or Forward?
Yes it does.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode