Aftermarket Torque Converter ?'s - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Aftermarket Torque Converter ?'s

I am in the middle of rebuilding my 6.4 and found that the crank thrust bearing was shot. From what people tell me, that is caused by the crank "walking". Most people agree that it is probably a transmission problem with the torque converter being the #1 culprit. This makes sense to me because if the TC was ballooning, it would do exactly that, push on the crank and cause thrust bearing failure.

So the question I need to ask is, what aftermarket TC should I get? I have looked at BD, ATS, Suncoast etc. There seems to be a small difference in price between all these TC's (couple hundred bucks). Is there one that stands out among the rest or would I be good with just about any high quality TC from any of these guys? Also, does anyone know what stock stall is on the 5R110 TC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 08:11 PM
Strokin all day

Re: Aftermarket Torque Converter ?'s

I'd go with a suncoast. I've never heard a good word about anything ats to be honest but never had any personal experience with them. What hp you shooting for it to hold.
Might want to think about a billet input shaft and make sure your clutch packs are in good shape. The 5r110 have great clutches but I've heard there input shafts aren't the strongest.

08 F350 Spartan tuned, egr delete, 5 in turbo back, no limit cai, ccv, cac pipe, bd 6.0 manifolds, bd up pipes, coolant filter.
3 vehicles in the scrap yard.
1 cummins sold to some boner next town over.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well, the tranny was replaced 50k ago after running an Innovative tune for 25k. My tech guessed the tune tore up the transmission. It never did shift right and I could never get them to call me back, so I gave up.

Power level is relatively mild, running a KEM tune now, which seems to shift MUCH better. I daily drive the truck for work (empty), but do tow a very large 5th wheel for camping. Just want this thing to be dead reliable and tow with no worries.

After reading some various threads here and there, I've heard some people comment about ordering 3 disc TC's and only getting 1 disc. Anyone get ripped off like that?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 10:33 PM
Strokin all day

River city also has one with a 1600 stall speed. To answer your other question stock stall is 1800 I believe. And I'd think with a reputable shop like suncoast if they did ship you a single disc instead of the triple it would have been by mistake and I'm sure they'd make it right. I'd still consider the input which I'm sure suncoast could help you out there too. By the way I'm not trying to say any of these other places don't make quality tcs but suncoast is known for transmissions. I'd buy from them just like I'd buy from south bend clutch for a manual cause that's what they do you know.

08 F350 Spartan tuned, egr delete, 5 in turbo back, no limit cai, ccv, cac pipe, bd 6.0 manifolds, bd up pipes, coolant filter.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for the info. I know that Suncoast has a great reputation and I almost went with a Suncoast transmission about 4 years ago when mine went belly up. Just couldn't justify the cost at the time.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 12:17 AM
Strokin all day

No problem. And yeah its an expensive trigger to pull but worth it. Good luck with it. Post up what you eventually get and how it works with your setup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode