Valair Clutchs - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker
Valair Clutchs

Is anyone running there clutchs?

If so what one and how much power are you making and what do you do with the truck.

I'm looking at the full Ceramic disk or the Kevlar/Ceramic disk and not sure witch one to go with.

The Ceramic is rated at 600hp and the Kevlar/Ceramic is 500hp.

Someone give me some feed back.

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:29 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Valair Clutchs

Also interested.

I was told that the full ceramic single was NOT dd friendly. I was a little confused about the power rating of the dual disk being lower, but it says that it is great for towing.

2008 F-250 SCLB Larait.

post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
The Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore20017.3 View Post
Also interested.

I was told that the full ceramic single was NOT dd friendly. I was a little confused about the power rating of the dual disk being lower, but it says that it is great for towing.
I have been talking to Gary from Valair via email and as of now they don't make a DD for the 7.3 but they should be releasing one early next year. The Kevlar/Ceramic is just one disc the picture of it is misleading.

Here is what he said about the 600hp full Ceramic

Quote:
The single disk ceramic isn’t hard to drive, It is a great clutch for a daily driven truck with 500-600hp, but is not recommended for towing, racing, or sled pulling.
WTF does that mean?

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:36 PM
PSN Veteran

I was told at my power level to go to an 800hp rated clutch. I do not know if that is necessary or not??? Or just to cover his butt lol.

He did look at me funny when I said my 7.3 was about 550hp.

2008 F-250 SCLB Larait.

post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
The Fireman

Well I hope someone with about the same amount of power we have chimes in on what they have.

I know I will not spend $1600 - $1800 on a South Bend. Nothing against them but thats just expensive at hell

post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Lovin Life...

I really don't understand why towing would be an issue, but I'm not clutch guru. Pulling I understand because you're slipping the clutch to get the sled moving, then you need the clutch to be able to grab when you fully reslease the pedal. Towing, this wouldn't be the case unless you rode the clutch all the time. You start off, run the gear, change gears, fully release clutch motor is making next to nothing on power, and you run through next gear. With our 6spds, you should never have to slip the clutch, I haven't and I pulled 13,000lb gen sets around all the time. When you start talking what the big boys are pulling 25,000- 30,000 I have no clue about that.

Just don't get something too big for the application. I ran 5 months with just a chip on the big clutch, and it sucked. You really need the correct HP to make them work correctly.

02-350. CCSB - Drivetrain by Stauffer, fuel by Swamps, air by Barder, tunes by Gearhead.
04-250. ECSB - In the shop...7.3 swap.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 04:25 PM
PSN nerd

im running the kevlar one in my truck, jus about 300rwhp and tons and tons of heavy towing 10-16k range. it has held up really well and has good pedal feel.

97 F250SC 4X4 4 LINKED ON AIR <- FOR SALE!!!!!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 04:34 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02BigD View Post
I really don't understand why towing would be an issue, but I'm not clutch guru. Pulling I understand because you're slipping the clutch to get the sled moving, then you need the clutch to be able to grab when you fully reslease the pedal. Towing, this wouldn't be the case unless you rode the clutch all the time. You start off, run the gear, change gears, fully release clutch motor is making next to nothing on power, and you run through next gear. With our 6spds, you should never have to slip the clutch, I haven't and I pulled 13,000lb gen sets around all the time. When you start talking what the big boys are pulling 25,000- 30,000 I have no clue about that.

Just don't get something too big for the application. I ran 5 months with just a chip on the big clutch, and it sucked. You really need the correct HP to make them work correctly.
When you are grossing 25-30K you HAVE to slip the clutch to get it rolling, so that real grabby chit (what I have heard of the ceramic) will not get it for me.

2008 F-250 SCLB Larait.

post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Lovin Life...

Ceramic grabs like there's no tomorrow, no doubt about it. I've stalled the truck more than I would prefer to admit, when I wasn't paying attention with stock injectors.

02-350. CCSB - Drivetrain by Stauffer, fuel by Swamps, air by Barder, tunes by Gearhead.
04-250. ECSB - In the shop...7.3 swap.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
The Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02BigD View Post
Ceramic grabs like there's no tomorrow, no doubt about it. I've stalled the truck more than I would prefer to admit, when I wasn't paying attention with stock injectors.
Are you running a full Ceramic clutch now Dom?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode