Tranny fluid smelled .... metallic? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Tranny fluid smelled .... metallic?

'95 F250 PSD 4x4 ZF5 RCLB, 156,000 miles. Yes, I did a search.

Just changed the tranny fluid yesterday. Drained fluid looked nice and red, seemed a weeee bit low, but it had a distinct metallic smell. Didn't smell burned like ATF from an overworked automatic, or like overused/abused engine oil. It was specifically a metallic smell. At least that's the best description I can come up with. Dang, you can upload sounds, pics, video online, but not smells.

Tranny shifted alright, not silky smooth, before the R&R, seems a bit smoother after. No noises from the transmission, never grinds or what-not.

Haven't had time to check the PO's records for when, if ever, the fluid was changed before. The guy was pretty good with maintenance (did almost everything at the stealership!).

The only other tranny I've drained and filled is on my Saturn 5-speed, also with ATF, at aprx. 100,000, and didn't notice any such smell. Is this normal, or is it a bad omen for the longevity of the tranny?

Ideas? Cautions? Condolences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Science rulz

Send a message via AIM to Coltaine
Re: Tranny fluid smelled .... metallic?

What did you drain the fluid into?

I assume that the truck was at operating temperature, some smells just have a way of being more prominent when something is heated. Some metal etc will always be present in a thing with moving metal parts.

One of them truckless bastards.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I drained it into a big plastic oil drain pan. But it wasn't that; I got some on my hand as I pulled the plug, and that's where I could smell it.

Yeah, indeed, the truck was warmed up.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Update: wife drove the truck to work today, and I drove it this evening for an errand, and WOW, night and day! MUCH smoother shifting, and no lurch/clunk when you down-throttle. Looked through all the PO's meticulous records, and nothing about the fluid being changed ever. So I guess it was just old, and probably kinda low.

Whew!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode