auto to manual swap? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroker1996

auto to manual swap?

I am looking to convert my 1997 ford f250 PSD automatic 4x4 to a zf5. i am looking for any tips or suggestions for the swap, what i will need, etc. any information is highly appreciated. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:26 PM

Re: auto to manual swap?

Yeah the swap from auto to manual was not bad. My ogrinal e4od lasted until 215k and it was even working, just not all the way. a friend of mine had a wrecked 95 f250 4x4 reg cab with the zf5. So i got it to canibalize it. I left the steering colmun in place, just removed the shifter and put the manual cover around the colmun. So i dont have a key lock, also left the auto gauge panel in place, and so you see the PRND deal. the 5 spd is shorter so the front drive shaft out of the other truck worked and the rear shaft i married in a way that did not work... i moved the cente4r support bearing back about 8 inches. the two shafts went togather and my brother(who is a welder in the navy) Brazed one of the two slips together with some kind of common filler he called it...i was saving money... lasted 4 months and the sline slip twisted into when i went to take off pulling my trailer. really looked awesome and i get to say that i twisted a shaft out. had to have a complete new shafts made up so that i will not have any probs again, cost 650. and the other part of that that is a pain , is i went with a step up in tube size. so now i have to take my torx bit out and get 8mm wrench to slowly turn in the bolt. changed over the pedals. note also i did not bother with the clutch safety switch, im the only one who drives it. the speed control still works, but if i( and i only did this once ) pushed in clutch and the tach will go all the way over... opps.just got to turnit off first. wiring harness just unpluged and put the manual on... idid switch computers... and this is only prob i had...

Would not run at first... limped real bad. code was a trans temp ground open, so it thinks it is to hot. then it would clear up, then come back... prob quit once i unplugged the gear selector, the wire that controls the O/D. IT will set the engine light and limp about once every month. all i do is coast for 5 seconds or so and it clears up... it will do it ANY time. cold, hot, idle , pulling not pulling... just will not do it long enough to figure it out...

Now... do i like it......YES YES YES....for pulling i love it even more, i get to drive it. 5th gear even pulling, i dont think twice... i did wonder how bad it would be pushing snow. of course here in Richmond Va we dont get it much... the last time(and only time last year) march 1. i sat in the truck for 17 hours pushing parking lots. and my right leg is the one that got tired... but i dont mind it at all....
i do miss being able to just slip into driving some times, but manual is king for me... made me sad to read that Ford is real soon not even offering the manual anymore in f250 and f350...according to Deisel power mag. i think the sept issue article cracking or unlocking the 6.4

The easy way is to do like i did imo...a wrecked truck

If your gonna be Dumb, You gotta be TOUGH
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:48 PM
indirectly strokin

id like to do this to my truck, but the obs trucks and fords of ne sort are like gold around here, expensive and very hard to find, esp with the zf5 and transfer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 08:47 PM
PSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzo View Post
Yeah the swap from auto to manual was not bad. My ogrinal e4od lasted until 215k and it was even working, just not all the way. a friend of mine had a wrecked 95 f250 4x4 reg cab with the zf5. So i got it to canibalize it. I left the steering colmun in place, just removed the shifter and put the manual cover around the colmun. So i dont have a key lock, also left the auto gauge panel in place, and so you see the PRND deal. the 5 spd is shorter so the front drive shaft out of the other truck worked and the rear shaft i married in a way that did not work... i moved the cente4r support bearing back about 8 inches. the two shafts went togather and my brother(who is a welder in the navy) Brazed one of the two slips together with some kind of common filler he called it...i was saving money... lasted 4 months and the sline slip twisted into when i went to take off pulling my trailer. really looked awesome and i get to say that i twisted a shaft out. had to have a complete new shafts made up so that i will not have any probs again, cost 650. and the other part of that that is a pain , is i went with a step up in tube size. so now i have to take my torx bit out and get 8mm wrench to slowly turn in the bolt. changed over the pedals. note also i did not bother with the clutch safety switch, im the only one who drives it. the speed control still works, but if i( and i only did this once ) pushed in clutch and the tach will go all the way over... opps.just got to turnit off first. wiring harness just unpluged and put the manual on... idid switch computers... and this is only prob i had...

Would not run at first... limped real bad. code was a trans temp ground open, so it thinks it is to hot. then it would clear up, then come back... prob quit once i unplugged the gear selector, the wire that controls the O/D. IT will set the engine light and limp about once every month. all i do is coast for 5 seconds or so and it clears up... it will do it ANY time. cold, hot, idle , pulling not pulling... just will not do it long enough to figure it out...

Now... do i like it......YES YES YES....for pulling i love it even more, i get to drive it. 5th gear even pulling, i dont think twice... i did wonder how bad it would be pushing snow. of course here in Richmond Va we dont get it much... the last time(and only time last year) march 1. i sat in the truck for 17 hours pushing parking lots. and my right leg is the one that got tired... but i dont mind it at all....
i do miss being able to just slip into driving some times, but manual is king for me... made me sad to read that Ford is real soon not even offering the manual anymore in f250 and f350...according to Deisel power mag. i think the sept issue article cracking or unlocking the 6.4

The easy way is to do like i did imo...a wrecked truck
On my mustang, it has cruise control stock from the factory and was standard 5spd too. If I were to hit the cruise and push the clutch in the revs would go thru the roof too. I guess back then they didnt really have it down.

Now for the harness's where abouts did you plugs your into?

1996 crew cab long box. 3.73s, auto 493/1135 stockish auto trans.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 05:34 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNDiesel View Post
On my mustang, it has cruise control stock from the factory and was standard 5spd too. If I were to hit the cruise and push the clutch in the revs would go thru the roof too. I guess back then they didnt really have it down.
My 1980 Omni had factory cruise and a manual, and it had a clutch switch. It's not exactly rocket science. Trivia alert: My Saturn is interesting; its predecessors had a clutch switch, but starting in '96, they programmed it into the PCM; if the RPM/MPH ratio doesn't correspond to one of the known gear ratios of the tranny, it assumes you've hit the clutch and cuts off the cruise. Sort of "software switch"; saved them a dollar-fifty per car, probably.

Some of the pre-built pre-bled hydraulic assemblies come with the switch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode