Transmission dipstick / fill tube leaking - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Transmission dipstick / fill tube leaking

Notice I have some ATF seeping out of the base of the dipstick tube where it connects into the transmission on my 96 PSD with an E4OD. I think I might of bumped the tube a little hard breaking the seal on it doing my exhaust. Anyways I have a new lower tube piece on order that should be here tomorrow as the dealership didn't have one in stock. I've done some browsing on it and found some write-ups on a Bronco forum talking about having to pull the transmission to replace the lower section of the dipstick / fill tube on the E4OD. I can see having to take off one of the cooler lines to give one more access to get at it but other than that there appears to be plenty of room to get at it under my truck. I do plan to drain and flush my tranny at the same time as I replace this tube. Anyone have an experience replacing the lower section of the dipstick and whether or not the transmission has to be pulled to replace it?

Joe
96 F-250 ECLB w/7.3, E4OD, Dana 60, 6637, KC TP38r, Hydra w/PHP tunes, Swamps HV/HF IDM, Efuel, HB Sr. HPOP, 3"dp to 4"exhaust with aero turbine muffler, Riff Raff bellowed up pipes, gauges - aeroforce interceptor, isspro ev2 pyro, boost & trans temp, IH water pump, Horton Efan clutch, hydroboost, 230amp alternator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 07:20 PM
PSN Local

Re: Transmission dipstick / fill tube leaking

NO, DON’T REMOVE THE TRANS. IT SHOULD BE DRAINED THOUGH. I HAVE DONE SEVERAL, THERE IS A SPECIAL TOOL TO DRIVE IT IN. BASICALLY IT FITS AROUND HALF OF THE PIPE AND FITS AGAINST THE RIB ON THE LOWER PORTION OF THE PIPE TO DRIVE IT IN. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE PIPE ORIENTED CORRECTLY SO IT LINES UP WITH THE UPPER TUBE AS YOU CAN NOT MOVE IT ONCE INSTALLED.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Appreciate the feedback. I was not aware of a tool needed but makes sense as it does look like something that has to be pressed in. I'll check with like NAPA to see if they carry that tool.

Joe
96 F-250 ECLB w/7.3, E4OD, Dana 60, 6637, KC TP38r, Hydra w/PHP tunes, Swamps HV/HF IDM, Efuel, HB Sr. HPOP, 3"dp to 4"exhaust with aero turbine muffler, Riff Raff bellowed up pipes, gauges - aeroforce interceptor, isspro ev2 pyro, boost & trans temp, IH water pump, Horton Efan clutch, hydroboost, 230amp alternator.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Any idea where to get the special driver tool? Checked around with a few places like NAPA and O'Reillys and no luck there. Guy at the Ford dealership I spoke with was going check with someone in the shop but haven't heard back from them yet.

Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode