Solenoid pack? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Solenoid pack?

So I've had some ongoing issues with my truck that have finally caught up with me. Posted on other sites and received no answers. First, the truck. 2001 f-250 with 167k. Purchased a little over 4 years ago with 145k on it. I'm the second owner and truck was bone stock when purchased. First mods done were gauges and John Woods valve body. In time I've since done DIY intake, exhaust, PHP 6 position chip, and riff raff billet compressor wheel. Auto too with the 4r100.
Anyway, the problem. Truck now likes to die when put into drive, NOT reverse. Before it got to this point it would occasionally lug when coming to a stop but I could throw it in neutral and it would rev up to about 1k then come back to normal. In the past before this problem the truck would dip down to under 500 RPM when coasting to a stop and then converter would unlock, usually at 40 MPH. Again, it would drop in RPM then rev back up and smooth out. This stalling in drive now is the latest problem. I've found very little information or people that have had similar problems as this. The few I have have pointed to transmission solenoid pack. But again, they aren't clear as to this fixing the problem. I drained and dropped my pan today for the hell of it and found the normal small amount of sludge on the magnet. And checked the fluid before this too and it was at a good level.
Sorry for being so long winded, especially being a new member. Just looking for some help. Getting very frustrated and want to avoid sending it somewhere if possible. Thank you.
Forgot to add that the few things I've found have said a bad solenoid pack could cause the stalling in drive. Hence the thread name!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 07:16 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: Solenoid pack?

Possibly, but not usually. Most often it comes from low pressure. That can be caused by low fluid, loose/missing internal filter, leaking internal seals, or a bad pump.

You can get a 0-350 PSI gauge and install it in the test on the side of the trans. Check pressures at idle in each PRNDL position, and at WOT in R, D, 2, and 1. Don't hold WOT for more than 5 seconds, and allow at least 30 seconds in N in between WOT tests.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

That makes sense. Forgot to mention I'm not getting any codes thrown either so kind of rules the solenoid out.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Also, it typically doesn't do this when the truck is cold. Once it gets a little heat in it thought is when it will kill it every time you put it in drive.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 04:22 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stigone73 View Post
That makes sense. Forgot to mention I'm not getting any codes thrown either so kind of rules the solenoid out.
Why does that rule out the solenoid? The solenoid can be fine electrically, but outputting low pressure.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Was just agreeing with your previous post about it possibly being that but usually isn't the case. Done some reading and it seems rare for that to be the problem. Just trying to avoid taking it to a shop if at all possible. Then again I might be in over my head with trying to fix this issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode