Strange e4od shifting - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Strange e4od shifting

Hello all,
I just picked up my first powerstroke this past weekend and needs to overcome a few obstacles before I can get it on the road. First a little about the truck: 97' f350 cclb 4x4, e4od, 7.3 powerstroke. 99' block (135k miles) with 97' heads turbo etc (300k miles). kt performance 6 position chip, 160 cc injectors, intake, exhaust and intake filter. The po bought the transmission used.

So now about the problem... When running in first gear I have to accelerate to a very high rpm then quickly let off the accelerator and reapply again to make it shift into 2nd. Almost as if I was driving a manual. I've read several threads with identical symptoms but have yet to see anyone give a definitive solution.

I should also mention the speedometer and tach function fine and there are no lights blinking or on.

Do I need to have the PCM reprogrammed? Does the transmission need a rebuild? Did the chip mess up the shift points?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 02:37 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: Strange e4od shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspony View Post
Do I need to have the PCM reprogrammed?
No.

Quote:
Does the transmission need a rebuild?
Yes.

Quote:
Did the chip mess up the shift points?
Maybe.

Most likley the intermediate one way clutch is failing. Once it totally dies you won't have second gear any longer.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Makes sense. I thought the best route to go would be to remove the chip to see how it operates with stock tuning. If that changes anything I will have the chip re-tuned. If not I guess I'll need to consider a rebuild. It's weird, when it does engage it really pulls nicely with no obvious slipping.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 11:48 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

It doesn't seem weird to me. That's how a one way clutch works. As it's coming apart sometimes it will hold and work, and sometimes it won't. It's impossible for it to slip, either it holds or it lets go. There's nothing in between.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the help and explanations Mark! I'll pull the chip this weekend, if that doesn't fix the issue I guess I should start hunting for another transmission or a rebuild.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Pulled the chip and test drove today... Still not shifting between 1st and 2nd. So it must be one of the many sensors associated with the transmission or the transmission itself.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Looks like I'm gonna go with a rebuild. Does anyone have expierence with the $300-500 stage 2 or 3 converters from eBay? Thanks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Pulled the pan last night. Fluid smelled very burnt. Also about an inch of metallic sludge at the bottom of the pan on the magnet. Finally there was a valve body bolt laying in the bottom of the pan. I think a rebuild is in order haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode