4R100 Over Heats When Towing - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

4R100 Over Heats When Towing

My 4R100 trans has been heating up on long grades when I've got the camper on and towing a 3000 lb. boat. Total weight around 6500 lbs. It got into the red area on the stock gauge twice for a couple minutes and would run in the yellow area on any uphill pulls.

I took the truck into a transmission mechanic and had the filter and fluid flushed and changed to Mobil One synthetic. When he dropped the pan, he found the filter had been cut in half in order to use an after market B&M pan. Also, the seal between the transmission and transfer case was blown. I had him put a new factory pan on and fix the seal. I've also installed a Tru-Cool 4739 transmission cooler after the radiator cooler. He checked the line pressure and said it good.

Now when I run the truck the transmission gauge gets up to normal before the water temp. does. Is this normal? I don't know where he checked the line pressure and I'll be talking to him tomorrow. I wonder if the pressure relief valve has failed?

I'm getting ready for a 5000 mile trip with the camper on. I have not tried any grade yet with the camper on. The mechanic thought the over heating problem was tied into the blown seal between the transmission and transfer case. Any thoughts?

2002 7.3 SD, 4X4, 4" exhaust, Magnaflow, Banks air, Tru-Cool 4739
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 05:11 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 4R100 Over Heats When Towing

yes. IIRC it will be in the normal range above 50-60*F. Mark will likely confirm this or correct it for you. Best thing to do is monitor actual trans temp with gauges or something similar.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks matthew. I was just worried that the transmission temp. went up before the thermostat had opened.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 07:12 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

The factory gauge will be right in the middle of normal when the trans temp reaches 50F.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Another question. Should the transmission line on the passenger side, where the pressure relief valve is, be coming back from the aux. trans. cooler? Or should it be going to the radiator cooler?

I'm the third owner of this truck and I'm trying to get everything back as it should be and make it reliable. It's been a real money pit so far. Thanks.

Moose

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 08:42 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

The line from the front of the trans goes to the radiator cooler. From there to the aux cooler, then from the aux cooler to the rear of the trans.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank you mark.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode