First diesel, normal operation? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

First diesel, normal operation?

Just got my first diesel today, a 2000 F350 with the 7.3.

Anyway, it's quite different from automatic cars as far as shifting and running. Let me know if this is normal.

1. When doing heavy acceleration the tranny will shift into the next gear very smoothly and with little to no jerking. Very similiar to riding a clutch under heavy acceleration as you go into the next gear I'm assuming this is normal "slushiness" that everyone describes and why most install the BTS valve bodies and what not? I don't drive this truck like it's stolen, just got on it that one time to make sure all was well. I've got the Mustang to drag race :)

2. While driving through the mountains on the way home with O/D off at about 50-55 MPH whenever I let off the gas the RPM's would drop to idle. Then I would pick up the gas and it would start engaging the tranny at about 1200-1500 RPM. When I turned O/D back on it would hold the RPM at about 2,000. I thought at first maybe it was wired in reverse but when I got out on the interstate and hit it to turn it off there was a definite downshift out of O/D.

Tranny fluid is not burnt, in fact it's so clear I can't see it on the dipstick without holding it about an inch from my eye.

'00 F350
Mods: Autometer gauges, Tru-Cool #4739 trans cooler, BFxenon HID lights, and backup fog lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: First diesel, normal operation?

1. The shifts in a 4R100 are too smooth for some people. They tend to get smoother as the fluid ages. New trans fluid can help, so can aftermarket valve bodies.

2. Your coast clutch is not applying when it should. What happens at 40 MPH if you move the shifter to 2? Does it have engine braking, or does it drop to idle speed?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

1. Does it hurt the tranny any? I'm assuming it'll wear out faster.

2. I was playing around today. Whenever I have O/D on it'll hold the RPM until I hit the brakes then it'll drop to idle. When I take my foot off the brakes I feel it kick almost like a downshift and the RPM's come back up. It didn't appear to do that with O/D off, it just went to idle.

I'll have to check for the 40 MPH and drop to 2nd. So what's it mean about the coast clutch, do I need to do the torque converter lockup switch I keep seeing?

Now I just have to figure out why my hubs don't autolock, have to manually lock them in. Thanks.

'00 F350
Mods: Autometer gauges, Tru-Cool #4739 trans cooler, BFxenon HID lights, and backup fog lights

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:46 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc123 View Post
1. Does it hurt the tranny any? I'm assuming it'll wear out faster.

2. I was playing around today. Whenever I have O/D on it'll hold the RPM until I hit the brakes then it'll drop to idle. When I take my foot off the brakes I feel it kick almost like a downshift and the RPM's come back up. It didn't appear to do that with O/D off, it just went to idle.

I'll have to check for the 40 MPH and drop to 2nd. So what's it mean about the coast clutch, do I need to do the torque converter lockup switch I keep seeing?

Now I just have to figure out why my hubs don't autolock, have to manually lock them in. Thanks.
I can answer #2 for you...

That's normal operation. When you apply the brakes, the TC unlocks. When you touch the gas, the TC will lock back. That's the "downshift" you're feeling.

And the hubs operate off of the vacuum system. Check your lines from the knuckle to the vacuum actuator.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I figured out the 4WD. I wasn't driving it to lock the hubs. I did it from a stop like back in the day.

It engine brakes with the manual downshift to 2. Thanks guys.

'00 F350
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 04:40 AM
PSN Veteran

Put a John Wood valve body in it, you'll love it. While in a tow tune the conv stays locked with brakes on until about 25 mph and downshifts along the way down. It also locks in 3rd.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

No tuner here :)

'00 F350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode