Confused by E4OD - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Confused by E4OD

I have a 97' CCLB truck and this thing has never been run hard. It had sat in a garage unless hooked to a race trailer. I bought it with 98k miles a little over two years ago.
So about a 16 months ago my O/D light started flashing and I unhooked the battery and drove it home. My local garage changed the fluid and the filter. There was some clutch material in the pan (which there should be something now with 123k miles) but no signs of anything coming apart. I left that Friday morning for a race. I drive about 150 miles to the race track with no issues. Leaving on Sunday morning it started flashing again. I stopped and pulled the fuse (this was on low rolling hills). After I pulled out and down the road, we went up Fancy Gap Mountain (w/ 10k pound trailer) which is a hard pull. The transmission never gave any signs of issues. Two weeks later in town the light came on again. I played this game for over a year.
Three weeks ago it started puking fluid and got hot. I limped it home and pulled the transmission. The only thing the re-builder found was the shaft seal looked ruff going in the TC. I had him do a full rebuild upgraded to a billet front cover TC, new pump, valve body, acc body, solenoid pack and 6 pinion planetary sets.
Now I'm getting a P1728 code twice in 20 miles. I bought the Edge Insight for the gauges.I is becoming disconnected from the PCM on a random basis. Edge told me this was a known problem with the older PCM's.
What should I check for this code. I don't think it's a transmission problem? I do have a old superchips tuner on it now after the rebuild. I was looking for a little bit more power.

Sorry for the long post.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 12:42 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: Confused by E4OD

It's too bad you never read the code in the over a year that you had problems. You might have saved yourself the cost of a rebuild.

Code P1728 means that slip has been detected between the engine and the rear axle. This test is only run when the transmission is in fourth gear and the torque converter is locked. If it sees slip (I think it needs 50 RPM slip) it sets a P1728.

This has not been the most reliable test. If there is any noise in the signal from either the engine speed or the vehicle speed sensor this code can set.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks Mark, I won't hold it against you for been an Engineer. I work for Volvo Trucks and have to work with engineers a lot. My issues are dimensional as I work in an Inspection room. Example, welded part assemblies don't need flatness called out because the individual parts have it called out on them. SO welding will not cause distortion.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 01:39 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

I also owned an auto repair shop, so I have a lot of real world repair experience in addition to my in depth Ford experience.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Mark, I was just clearing the codes and driving it. Now it's started keeping the TC locked up. I've shut it off and tried to put it in gear a bunch of times before I figured out, if i pull it into first it will go on. Now this has happened several times yesterday. I haven't drivin this truck 300 miles in 3 months. Could this be the PCM?

"If you can not measure it, you can not improve it."
Lord Kelvin
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 07:11 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

You have a problem with the converter lock system. Since it is setting a P1728 (slip code) and it won't unlock sometimes, that points to a sticky torque converter clutch control valve. It could be the PCM, but that is not at all likely.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode