1997 E4OD issues from column? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

1997 E4OD issues from column?

I have a 97 F250 ccsb with Cummins and built up E4od. Been having a few problems with the trans acting up. Tried to fix from the PCS controller standpoint, but it seems it maybe something more. My trans builder was leaning towards possibility that the gear selector is sloppy and there is some kind of voltage sent from there to something in the valve body. If its not adjusted correctly, it will search gears and cause issues. Is there any truth to this, and how could I test it without having to pull entire column out and switching to a junkyard column?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:13 PM
Stone Crusher

Re: 1997 E4OD issues from column?

Check the transmission range sensor. Drivers side of the tranny.

01 F250 XLT 4X4 Auto trans, Dark Highland Green, Green fuzzy dice,Di Pricol Optix gauges,Dura Lite air cleaner,CCV mod,coolant filter,,AIC,XM Satilite radio.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I changed that out a while ago with no improvements.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 12:14 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fummins97 View Post
I have a 97 F250 ccsb with Cummins and built up E4od. Been having a few problems with the trans acting up. Tried to fix from the PCS controller standpoint, but it seems it maybe something more. My trans builder was leaning towards possibility that the gear selector is sloppy and there is some kind of voltage sent from there to something in the valve body. If its not adjusted correctly, it will search gears and cause issues. Is there any truth to this, and how could I test it without having to pull entire column out and switching to a junkyard column?
There is NOTHING in the column that sends any kind of electrical signal to the transmission controller.

The only thing related to shifter position is the TRS. But you already changed that. So that points me to a wiring issue between the controller and the TRS.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
There is NOTHING in the column that sends any kind of electrical signal to the transmission controller.

The only thing related to shifter position is the TRS. But you already changed that. So that points me to a wiring issue between the controller and the TRS.
thanks for the clarification Mark. I bought another TRS just to try it, see if anything changes. Now the sloppy shifter, does that have any effect on the gear selection? Is there any way to tighten it up?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 03:15 AM
PSN Veteran

If you changed the trs you could have bent the rage selector shaft going into the trans. I have one bent, so it is out of adjustment. It is not to bad to replace, I was told to get it from ford for around a 100.

You can put new plastic bushings in the column.

96 with 320,000, Idm mod,
Tc mod, van turbo, 200/30 rosewood,
T 500 hpop, Dy 3" down pipe,
glowshift gauges, D60kp swap, custom track arms,
steering wheel swap, 6637 mod, Hydra chip, WW2,
calf fuel spring and BB mod
6.0 fan, cooler,
Pmf 2.25 rsk sd springs

78 f-150 turbo big block
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 04:53 AM
PSN Veteran

down under the dash there is a torx fitting that comes loose if there is slop in the selector
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 08:59 AM
Terminator Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fummins97 View Post
thanks for the clarification Mark. I bought another TRS just to try it, see if anything changes. Now the sloppy shifter, does that have any effect on the gear selection? Is there any way to tighten it up?
I had my TRS go out of adjustment and it was slamming up and down between 2-3 while cruising. Adjusted the TRS and linkage at the transmission and all was well.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

good to know, I'll be working on it this week. hoping for something easy to fix it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode