Keep breaking billet input shaft - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Keep breaking billet input shaft

So I have had my truck built for about 2 1/2 and have gone through some parts threw a forged rod out the motor about a year ago and have gone through a pats and trans specialties converter and I now have a precision that has been holding up great but now that I have a converter that works I broke a forward drum a heavy duty forward drum now I have a billet drum and intermediate and now that is fixed I broke a tcs billet maraging shaft about 2 months ago and just broke another tcs billet maraging shaft tonight I've ran it 4 times at the track and been 12.50 and it's never been hooked to a sled has anybody else had any problems with this shaft or could it be transmission related? Any input would be great I want the 5th time to be the charm 😑 lol

2000 F-250 Stroker, Cale's tunes, modded H2E, Full Force 250/100, Built tranny from John Richmond, Precision converter, Manley rods, Mahle pistons, clevite bearings, girdle, sbi valves, a1000, Comp springs, Smith bros pushrods, billet plenums, DI RR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 02:59 AM
PSN Local

Re: Keep breaking billet input shaft

I know it sounds crazy but it could be that the trans shifts to hard. The shock from extremely hard shifts can break hard parts much earlier then should. You want shifts to be firm at wot but not to the point you consider lifting the pedal.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 02:24 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

What he said. Harsh shifts break shafts and drums.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I called tcs and they said could also be shift bind?

2000 F-250 Stroker, Cale's tunes, modded H2E, Full Force 250/100, Built tranny from John Richmond, Precision converter, Manley rods, Mahle pistons, clevite bearings, girdle, sbi valves, a1000, Comp springs, Smith bros pushrods, billet plenums, DI RR.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

How would you do that in a 4R100? The only way is if you modified the software to keep the coast clutch on all the time. If you haven't done this, then shift bind is impossible in a 4R100. Tell them that and see what they say.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 01:44 AM
PSN Veteran

I agree with Mark. If it was a 5R110 its a whole different ball game. Simple tuning errors can do that in the 5R, but its impossible in a 4R.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode