Trouble with shifting and acceleration. I would appericate and advice. thank you - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Trouble with shifting and acceleration. I would appericate and advice. thank you

At the moment I am having an issue with my truck having no acceleration in the low gears. when it shifts, it will shift at higher rpms. I cant get the truck above about 40mph. The truck was running great and as I made a left turn on a road with a higher speed, trying to beat traffic, I made it about 15 feet and the power seemed to just leak from the truck. The fuel filter was just replaced. I fill up at the same place every time, so I don't think water is in my fuel. My oil level is good. 15W40 is what I am using due to how hot it is here in Alabama. The VSS has been replaced (not a motorcraft part), I have cleaned all connections to the transmission and I used dielectric grease after cleaning them. I don't thing it is the transmission (or I hope its not) because I am hearing no grinding and the fluid id at the proper level. It is also still a redish/pink color(with no burnt smell). I was wondering if it could be the torque converter. I have read some on here that when it has gone bad, it can cause random lose of power/acceleration. I would be open to any ideas. Thank yall for taking the time to read this post. Also I have replaced the peddle position sensor (not entire peddle assembly), but I am unsure how to adjust it. Or if you even have to. This truck is my only way to class and school starts back Monday. And just today after installing the peddle position sensor, I noticed the ABS light came on. could this mean anything to do with my issue. Iv read on here sometimes it comes on with a bad VSS. But I just replaced that about a week ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 01:55 AM
PSN Local

Re: Trouble with shifting and acceleration. I would appericate and advice. thank you

Sounds like u need to let a professional look at it. There are lots of possible problems that fit your complaints. Even if u buy and replace the parts yourself. 30ins with a expirenced tech and a scan tool will save you hours of guessing
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Trouble with shifting and acceleration. I would appericate and advice. thank you

First off, thank you for reading my post. I know I need a professional with a scan tool to check it out. But money is very tight. Most shops here charge about 100$ just to plug in the truck. I was just hoping someone had any ideas of what it could be. So I can get a figure on the price for the parts. But classes start bsck monday, so I may ride over to the automotive shop before class and use their scan tool. They get way more funding then our diesel program haha.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

As of yesterday, I can now get the truck to about 60mph. I have to almost pump the Peddle though. It almost seems do have a dead spot about half way into push to the floor. If I keep my food lightly pressing the accelerator the it does ok through 1st and 2nd. Then it will just get stuck, but if I pump the Peddle, I can watch the speed make small jumps. Im completely lost here. This is why I was asking does the new peddle position sensor have to be adjusted in any way?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 01:05 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

You have either a plugged fuel filter, a plugged sock in the fuel tank, or a bad fuel pump. A new filter doesn't mean that it isn't plugged.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 04:41 PM
PSN Veteran

I agree your problem is engine related, not transmission.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank you for the response, what do you mean a plugged fuel filter. The filter was put in when this first happened. So its maybe a week old. About a month ago I dropped my fuel tanks and cleanes them. Also I replaced the socks (filters). I blew the lines on them out as well. Is there another way for a fuel filter to clog? Thanks again for the help guys.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 02:02 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

The filter could be bad, it could have collected more junk that you missed, etc.

Your problem is the engine isn't getting fuel. If you find and fix that problem the transmission will be fine again.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I will look over my entire engine, once again. I will get back to you if I find anything.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Turns out my MAP sensor was bad and not sending a signal. Im new to the mechanic world so thank you everyone for the help and suggestions. Now im onto a new issue in another thread I posted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode