4r100 rebuild question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

4r100 rebuild question

Hello, new to the forum looking for advice if I could please. I have a 2001 f-350 dually with the 7.3, I have owned since 1 year old when it had 18,000 miles on her and now have just over 85,000. Only light mods on it..let's see, 4" exhaust with no muffler,Gearhead tunes,quick spool turbo housing and wicked wheel, BD exhaust brake,Afe intake...I think that's about it.
I use the truck mainly for camping and haul a 10.5 ft Bigfoot cabover camper with a 14 ft flatbed trailer in tow with either 4 wheelers or snowmobiles on it.
This last weekend we went out and on the return my tranny seems to have went south....I'm surprised at its early demise at 85,000 miles but that's where I'm at. It's at a Trans shop now awaiting a rebuild, I would love one of those BTS or JW trannies but living in Alaska makes that option more expensive and time consuming. The shop is going to install heavy duty bands and clutches,a billet TC and shift kit upon rebuild. My main question is I have seen a lot of feedback on the Tugger kit but this place installs a Superior Shift Technologies kit which I really can't find any feedback on. Does anyone have any feedback on this product? Is there anything else I can suggest they do while in there to give me a more reliable longlasting tranny as an outcome?
I appreciate any and all advice on the matter...thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 11:04 AM
PSN Local

Re: 4r100 rebuild question

IMHO The superior kits are great for several gm transmissions. But just ok for 4r100/E40D. They make the shifts firm but don't address any other issues like end play or hydraulic integrity in clutch apply circuits. I like to use sonnax sure cure kit in 4r100. It helps with several common fail points and has plenty of options for shift firmness. I usually pair it with the sonnax elevated pressure regulater spring. Good luck with your build. Done correctly a 4r100 can take a lot of abuse. Don't forget some sort of trans cooler upgrade as well
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take this info to the transmission shop. They said if there wasn't metal contaminate in the cooler it could be flushed and I already have a secondary cooler in line.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 05:02 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

So do you have the radiator cooler and two other coolers?

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Sorry, I have the radiator cooler and one more auxiliary cooler.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 09:42 PM
PSN Newb

THE MOST important thing to do is to get rid of the "pressure relief" thing,bar,rail, Ford puts on the side of the Powerstroke trans. The 4R100 trans for my 2000 7.3L had a stock pressure relief thing/device/bar/valve which would short loop the trans fluid back into the transmission thus avoiding the trans oil coolers up front. Rapid overheating happens without the coolers doing their job. My trans would overheat, even in cold weather! If you eliminate that pressure relief thing on the side of the trans, your trans coolers up front get continuous duty to keep you trans cool. This is a very good thing. This lesson comes to me because I smoked my trans requiring a rebuild, $2200. approx. spent unnecessarily because I didn't know any better to get rid of that pressure relief device. You can buy the adapters to eliminate the pressure relief thing on Amazon for just a few bucks. All they are is steel bungs that go between the hose out and the hose connector and then another one for the hose back in return leg. Once I got rid of the trans pressure relief valve, I started running "tractor fluid" hydraulic fluid from Walmart in my trans. They use this clear fluid in backhoes, etc. and it works great in my trans. BUT you can't run it with the trans pressure relief value still installed. You'll have a constant short loop bypass of your trans coolers. Also, I took loose the return line from my trans cooler up front and re-routed it to a B&M super cooler mounted in front of the water radiator, but behind the air conditioning cooler, then routed the trans fluid from the B&M Supercooler back into my trans. Now I rarely see my trans fluid exceed 160 F, mostly it stays at 140 F approx., even while towing. Summer temps coming back from Vegas are often 110 degrees outside. Trans now stays cool even with the air on.

Also, tell your trans repair shop to get your torque converter rebuilt into a "high performance" torque converter. There are specialty shops around LA that can take your stock converter and make it high performance. They crack the cases and put another row or two of vanes in. The slipping between the stock vanes can cause additional head, so the extra vanes make a big difference. Extra vanes is a cheap fix while you tranny is out.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So then an aftermarket billet tc won't necessarily have these extra vanes or be classified as high performance your saying? I haven't heard of or read through the Internet anything about the pressure relief rail mod you speak of so I better research that out. I could be very wrong but I don't think I have a heat issue with the transmission but...no....I do not have a temp gauge and that would be smart to install. It's never puked tranny fluid and has never smelled burnt or looked bad at changes.... I ran Mobil 1 syn the last couple years in it.
Really good suggestions, thanks. I'll start researching this mod and is there more votes to go a different brand of shift kit other than the Shift Technologies the shop suggests? I think they will probably start on it Tuesday so I have a day or two to get my ducks in a row here... also is there normally a break in period or can I throw the camper back on and head for the hills when it's done? I sent an email to Gearhead already and am waiting for a response as to whether or not I will need new tow tunes to accommodate the transmission changes...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 11:53 PM
Stone Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody_gentry View Post
THE MOST important thing to do is to get rid of the "pressure relief" thing,bar,rail, Ford puts on the side of the Powerstroke trans. The 4R100 trans for my 2000 7.3L had a stock pressure relief thing/device/bar/valve which would short loop the trans fluid back into the transmission thus avoiding the trans oil coolers up front. Rapid overheating happens without the coolers doing their job. My trans would overheat, even in cold weather! If you eliminate that pressure relief thing on the side of the trans, your trans coolers up front get continuous duty to keep you trans cool. This is a very good thing. This lesson comes to me because I smoked my trans requiring a rebuild, $2200. approx. spent unnecessarily because I didn't know any better to get rid of that pressure relief device. You can buy the adapters to eliminate the pressure relief thing on Amazon for just a few bucks. All they are is steel bungs that go between the hose out and the hose connector and then another one for the hose back in return leg. Once I got rid of the trans pressure relief valve, I started running "tractor fluid" hydraulic fluid from Walmart in my trans. They use this clear fluid in backhoes, etc. and it works great in my trans. BUT you can't run it with the trans pressure relief value still installed. You'll have a constant short loop bypass of your trans coolers. Also, I took loose the return line from my trans cooler up front and re-routed it to a B&M super cooler mounted in front of the water radiator, but behind the air conditioning cooler, then routed the trans fluid from the B&M Supercooler back into my trans. Now I rarely see my trans fluid exceed 160 F, mostly it stays at 140 F approx., even while towing. Summer temps coming back from Vegas are often 110 degrees outside. Trans now stays cool even with the air on.
Instead of deleting the bypass, repair it. $20 bucks from Sonnax. Problem solved.

01 F250 XLT 4X4 Auto trans, Dark Highland Green, Green fuzzy dice,Di Pricol Optix gauges,Dura Lite air cleaner,CCV mod,coolant filter,,AIC,XM Satilite radio.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 01:08 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody_gentry View Post
THE MOST important thing to do is to get rid of the "pressure relief" thing,bar,rail, Ford puts on the side of the Powerstroke trans.
This is a very bad idea. If it malfunctions, the trans will heat up. If it isn't there and there is a restriction in the cooler circuit your first indication that there is a problem is that the transmission fails from lack of lube. This is a safety device to protect the transmission from sudden destruction.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 02:33 PM
PSN Veteran

racerx and john woods both sell a kit I believe,
if your looking for stock, just go to the dealership, it has a 5yr unlimited mile warranty I think I saw somewhere

Chris

Moore, Oklahoma

1996 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab PSD
6637 tymar
285-75-16 BFG All Terrains/Weld Wheels
3:55 gears
Automatic with billet convertor, tugger and alto discs
New Gearhead Tunes:
1 heavy tow
2 stealth mode
3 tow/econ
4 street perf
5 all out
6 high idle
1.0 housing
exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode