manual to auto trans in 96 f-350 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

manual to auto trans in 96 f-350

Can some tell me what it would take to switch my truck to a automatic?

Burning DIESEL.....Burning DINOSAUR Bones- J.R. Cash

96' Powerstroke CC Bone stock..... DIY intake, exhaust, and PHP 6 pos. soon. Hopefully
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 12:58 AM
PSN nerd

Re: manual to auto trans in 96 f-350

trans crossmember, driveshafts, steer colum, shift cables, wiring harness and computer or pcs controller with harness. trans cooler and lines, hmm i know i am forgetting something.

then need trans, flex plate, tc, thinner motor spacer,

i am working on this also. i just need a trans now.

97 F250SC 4X4 4 LINKED ON AIR <- FOR SALE!!!!!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

huh. thnx for the info.

Burning DIESEL.....Burning DINOSAUR Bones- J.R. Cash

96' Powerstroke CC Bone stock..... DIY intake, exhaust, and PHP 6 pos. soon. Hopefully

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 04:31 AM
Sponsor

I did this swap in the spring. Not too bad at all once you get all the parts. The t case just matches right up. And I went with a E40d case with 4R100 electronics from BTS. I also run a PCS. But as far as hard parts are concerned, the auto is a bit longer than the ZF so you'll need to address the driveshafts. The front needs to be lengthened and the back shortened a couple inches each. A front automatic driveshaft should be universal to all configurations, you'd just either need to source one, or have them both worked. You'll need a flexplate, and the spacer between the engine and transmission. Also the crossmembers are a bit different as well. I had lines made up and run a cooler with an electric fan in the passenger side fenderwell. And I didnt go through the headache of putting the auto column and shifter in, we just put a B&M floor shifter right over the hole where the 5spd shifter was and it turned out pretty cool. If you could find a donor truck thatd be best but if not this should be all you need if I'm remembering right. And I promise it's worth it. BTS makes a ridiculous trans.

'02 F-250 CCSB Lariat 4x4 160's 38R
'97 F-250 5.9 CTD SCSB 4x4 XLT. [email protected] #2
'06 Jetta TDI Malone Stg 2 Tune
FullForceDiesel.com
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 04:43 AM
PSN Veteran

how hard was it to do the B&M shifter? im kinda instrestered in that lol

02 f250
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 03:54 PM
PSN Local

What would it take to get a trade going, all of my auto stuff for all of your manual stuff. Mine was rebuilt around 80,000 miles ago and I'm putting a racer x custom valve body in it tomorrow and just did put in racer x triple disk billet converter.

Bryan

97 F250 SC LB 4x4 Auto 368,000 miles, AD's, 3in down pipe, Straight Pipe,EBPV deleted, DIY Intake, Racer X converter and valve body, Beans tunes

Last edited by The Fireman; 10-10-2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: forgot something
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 07:13 PM
PSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTennPSD View Post
I did this swap in the spring. Not too bad at all once you get all the parts. The t case just matches right up. And I went with a E40d case with 4R100 electronics from BTS. I also run a PCS. But as far as hard parts are concerned, the auto is a bit longer than the ZF so you'll need to address the driveshafts. The front needs to be lengthened and the back shortened a couple inches each. A front automatic driveshaft should be universal to all configurations, you'd just either need to source one, or have them both worked. You'll need a flexplate, and the spacer between the engine and transmission. Also the crossmembers are a bit different as well. I had lines made up and run a cooler with an electric fan in the passenger side fenderwell. And I didnt go through the headache of putting the auto column and shifter in, we just put a B&M floor shifter right over the hole where the 5spd shifter was and it turned out pretty cool. If you could find a donor truck thatd be best but if not this should be all you need if I'm remembering right. And I promise it's worth it. BTS makes a ridiculous trans.

How did you go about the wiring harness's for both trans? Did the automatic trans harness plug in to a un-used port on the standard truck?

1996 crew cab long box. 3.73s, auto 493/1135 stockish auto trans.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 09:54 AM

This was good info, I'm slowly collecting parts. I really don't wanna switch, but with damaged knees I'm eventually gonna get to the point where I wont be keen on using a third pedal no more. Heck I already hate it in town, but love it going down hill.

I hope more info comes up on specifics such as if using the PCS controller, what is the best programing configuration? I also wonder if any of the E4od wiring is in the ZF-5 truck computer harness, or would you need to add pins?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 03:14 AM
PSN Veteran

On the zf5 I just parted out it had one harness going up to a connector on the distribution box. I would assume autos are the same? Other than like the neutral switch under the dash.

Early 99, regular cab, Six Speed, Wildman Tuned, Red wastegate line MIA, muffler MIA, Isspro EGT/Boost, DIY Tymar, EBPV Switch, a slipping South Bend, 2.5" leveling kit, 35x12.5 BFG All-Terrains, 16.5" American Racing wheels SOLD
04, red regular cab, six speed, Edge SOLD
97, silver regular cab 300/200 s300
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:27 PM

I found it the other day, after looking at it I think the wiring is actually there for an automatic above that connector just like the wires are there for the shifter and interlock on the steering column?? I found a 4R100 that will be getting a shift kit and improved TC if my back pay will get in. I also found a controller by Bauman Engineering that looks good. So it will be a matter of time, and my knee will be happy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode