auto to zf6 no start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

auto to zf6 no start

I finally swapped my auto trans harness out for a zf6 trans harness. I did the auto to manual swap last year and just rewired the auto harness to work. I also have a manual pcm. I tore out the auto harness and plugged the manual in and the truck will not crank. I jumped the starter solenoid and it ran fine. not lights on the dash either. I did find the neutral safety switch and plugged it in. One thing i am wondering about is the auto harness had a big grey and black plug that connected at the fender well. The one for the zf6 only had the black plug. I was also told that the wire for the starter solenoid may need to be changed since the main plug is different. IF anyone can get a picture of the 4 big plugs on the drivers side fenderwell and the wiring or even wiring diagrams that'd be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 12:43 AM
PSN Local

Re: auto to zf6 no start

What about the switch on clutch pedal. Has to be depressed or engine will not turn over.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaan View Post
What about the switch on clutch pedal. Has to be depressed or engine will not turn over.
i know that much. not the issue

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

just a little history, ive been driving this truck for a year after the swap with no issues. I was able to get a manual pcm out of another truck at the time of the swap. All the parts i installed were brand new at the time. The clutch pedal neutral safety switch is brand new. Just today i pulled out the auto harness, installed the manual harness and all the plugs matched up until i got to the fender well and there was only one big black plug with 6 wires in it. the auto harness had two plugs a grey and black. the black in the auto harness had 14 wires in it. The zf6 harness is off the same year and model truck as mine. hopefully someone can solve this. I would think with all the trans swaps someone had to encounter this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 01:12 AM
Jackleg Mechanic

What model is it?

Jeff
06 F350 6.0L CCLB AMARILLO 4X4
- SCT Livewire, Quick Tricks Looney tune, XDP Coolant filter, Blue Spring Mod, High Flow Banjo bolts, Warren's 175/30 injectors with upgraded spools, ARP Studs, PowerMax Stag One Turbo, Bilstien 5100's. Banks 4in turbo back Monster exhaust. All necessary internal bulletproofing. High Idle mod
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrkee View Post
What model is it?
2000 xl 7.3
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

found that with the manual harness i still had to splice to wires in the grey plug at the fender well on the drivers side. the auto harness has a grey and black plug. the grey plug on the female end has a blue/orange stripe and a tan/red stripe wires that have to be spliced to send power to the starter relay. everything works fine now!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 06:32 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennings94 View Post
found that with the manual harness i still had to splice to wires in the grey plug at the fender well on the drivers side. the auto harness has a grey and black plug. the grey plug on the female end has a blue/orange stripe and a tan/red stripe wires that have to be spliced to send power to the starter relay. everything works fine now!
This.

Every A-to-M conversion needs this done, even with a manual PCM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode