another e40d question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

another e40d question

I recently purchased my dads truck. Im having a wierd shift around 40 mph after truck and tranny is warm. it will up shift then seem like it down shifts or gradually slides into gear. shifts fine cold. its a 96 psd. My dad had the tranny rebuilt about 10k miles ago. He doesnt pull anything with this truck anymore.

I also notice that the speedo bounces 2 to 4 mph around 35 to 55mph. I read the vss also causes shifting issues so could this be a possibilty?

I hooked up auto enginuity and have no codes. solenoid 1 and 2 seem to shift correctly. not sure if there is a solenoid 3 because values didnt change.

I did notice however the tranny fluid is really high. It is over the hot mark when the tranny is cold.

Could the possible air agitation or overfilling cause that wierd shift?

Also the auto enginuity program monitered tranny temp sensor in volts. Does this tranny even have a factory temp sensor?

94 4 door f350 psd 2wd manual all stock, 97 ext cab f250 psd 4x4 auto. 3in downpipe, 4 in diamond eye exhaust with cat delete, ts performance chip, s&b intake

Last edited by jnkpilgrim; 03-29-2015 at 10:03 PM. Reason: I left out important info for troubleshooting issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 01:18 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: another e40d question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkpilgrim View Post
I also notice that the speedo bounces 2 to 4 mph around 35 to 55mph. I read the vss also causes shifting issues so could this be a possibilty?
That is a possibility.
Quote:
I hooked up auto enginuity and have no codes. solenoid 1 and 2 seem to shift correctly. not sure if there is a solenoid 3 because values didnt change.
Solenoid 3 is the coast clutch solenoid. It will turn on if you press the OD OFF button. It is not causing your problem.
Quote:
I did notice however the tranny fluid is really high. It is over the hot mark when the tranny is cold.
That's meaningless. Checking it cold has no meaning at all. Warm it up and check it.
Quote:
Could the possible air agitation or overfilling cause that wierd shift?
If it really is overfilled, maybe.

Much more likely is the programming. It wasn't very good in the late 90's. When I worked there I asked to be transferred to that position so I could fix it. That didn't happen.

What is happening is at the start of the 3-4 shift the torque converter clutch is supposed to slip a little bit during the shift. Due to poor programming it releases the clutch, the engine speed rises, the shift happens, and then it relocks. It's ugly. A custom chip is the only way I know to fix this.
Quote:
Also the auto enginuity program monitered tranny temp sensor in volts. Does this tranny even have a factory temp sensor?
Yes it does.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode