What to do for a budget build and used 4r100 with some issues - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN nerd

What to do for a budget build and used 4r100 with some issues

I have been looking at racer x on some trans parts....

I was thinking about getting the amour kit and ultimate clutch kit and valve body. Is there anything else yall can think of? I would really like to get one of the billet 3 disc converters but I am trying to get this trans in before my zf craters. If i had the time to wait for the funds it would just be going to BTS.

The trans i might get ahold of was in a truck and running good, with the exception of they said it would take a second or two to engage in forward and reverse. (seems like my wifes truck is like this)

Also the forward clutch got smoked in it and that is why it got pulled. It just got swapped with another used trans. Could something else gotten tore up too?

THANKS!!

97 F250SC 4X4 4 LINKED ON AIR <- FOR SALE!!!!!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:37 PM
PSN Local

Re: What to do for a budget build and used 4r100 with some issues

I am in the same boat contemplating the same thing... Who are you going to use to rebuild this trans with the racer x kits?

1996 SCLB, E4OD and a few other goodies thanks to CT Performance, Tymar, Full Force Diesel, and TW.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:49 PM
Don't EFN worry about it

Jake I will be doing an overhaul on mine soon too. GRRR Got tunes and its not pretty on one burn so we dont go there lol !

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN nerd

I am thinking about buying the tech manual from racer x so i can look it over. i may tackle it myself, but not 100% sure i will call racer x and talk to them bout it

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 12:09 AM
PSN Veteran

You can't do better than the rebuild kit from Suncoast for $500. I know of at least 8 dudes that used the Suncoast kit and are lovin' it. Of course, the TC is also an issue and you should reall consider a Suncoast TC or any NEW TC when you rebuild a tranny. Otherwise, your new tranny won't last 1,000 miles. Also, the Summit external tranny filter at $35 is another must have.

Pap
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
PSN nerd

The rebuild kit from RX is about $500 also and there armor kit is about $700 it is supposed to have all the vulnerable hard parts in it and i belive the pump mod. They also have a $500 tc and a $1000 triple disc billet, or i would get a PI. then the valve body is about $200

I have always thought suncoast = suncost.

rebuild kit
ULTIMATE 4R100 CLUTCH KIT. Alto Red Eagle & Green Krypton clutch frictons Racer X

armor
Racer X

valve body
Racer X Custom Valve Body 4R100 Racer X

filter
MAGNEFINE COOLER LINE FILTER Racer X

tc
Racer X

or tc
Racer X

or the PI

truck just has some 140cc inj in it now. gonna end up with some 190cc hybrids when the new motor gets build hopefully next year. just want around 400rwhp

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 02:09 AM
PSN Local

If you are going to go the DIY route I might be interested in splitting the cost of the tools if you would be interested tackling two at one time(I help you, you help me deal). I would love to rebuild my own but I am going tomorrow to visit two shops here locally before I make that decision. The Racer X package looks to be a good one. I was also looking at PATC for a rebuild kit too...

1996 SCLB, E4OD and a few other goodies thanks to CT Performance, Tymar, Full Force Diesel, and TW.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN nerd

do ya know what tools are needed? i have a good array of tools. i need to do this one and i know my wifes is gonna need to be done one of theese days

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN nerd

do ya know what tools are needed i know my wifes will need to get done one of theese days also

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Failure to Communicate

You can make the "special" tools for about $15 but I believe you can buy them from Racer.

I have done a couple of e4/4r's now and zero problems so far(80k miles) just pay attention to detail and use good parts.

Suncoast has good parts but you still need to source all the little things so it was easier for me to do the last one through racer but before that I got parts from all kinds of places.

96 F250 CC SB 4x4
DIY or Die Tryin-Fuel, Trans, Lifted and Stroked

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode