bad TC? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

bad TC?

What symptoms will show if your TC is going out? My truck has a shutter that shows up when i'm cruising at low speed and usually under 1500 rpms. It usually only does it when it has shifted into OD and then I've slowed back down to around 40-45mph. It's the truck in my sig with 135k on it all stock and original. If I hit the button and kick it out of OD it usually stops and is fine and seems to do it alot worse when the truck is cold but will still do it after it's warm sometimes too. Let me know if you have any suggestions as to what it is. I've only had the truck about a month and a half and not really wanting to rebuild the trans yet. Thanks, Matt

2001 CC SB Lariat 4x4
DIY 6637, 4" MBRP
Tennessee Powerstrokes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 01:52 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: bad TC?

Sounds like you're gonna need a complete tranny rebuild and TC. The sooner you take care of this, the better. If your tranny craters, then all that crap will be going through your cooler lines. When that happens then it will be very hard to clean the lines from all of that crap even with the normal filter systems. An additional external tranny filter from Summit Racing for $35 will definately help, but fixing the problem before it craters is a better idea, IMHO.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 02:02 AM
biostroke1

my 6.0 did the EXACT same thing. i also thought it was the trans. took it to my buddy @ ford, two injectors later i was up and rolling no more shutter

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 02:10 AM
biostroke1

take your truck to a ford dealer. theyll hook it up to their computer and be able to tell ya which injectors are dropping out. not sure if itll cost ya to have it look @ or not, and im no tech, but im 99% sure thats what it is.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 02:17 AM
PSN Veteran

Could be lots of things possibly. Best idea to start would be to have it scanned possibly by ford, or if you know anybody that has a good quality scan program like AE. Mine did a similar thing with some other symptoms and it turned out to be the IPR. I was thinking injectors possibly. But it could also be a trans issue too, it's hard to say. Checking for codes might not answer your problem, you may need to scan the truck while running and when the problem occurs to notice any changes in high pressure oil, or anything else.

Early 99 Powerstroke
Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat 4x4
SCT Livewire w/ various custom tunes
Adrenaline
AFE stage 2
Super 66 Turbo
4" straight pipe
Modded IDM
Automatic trans: PI Converter, tugger kit
Leveling Kit w/ 35's
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

A shudder at low RPM is rarely the transmission. U-joints or an engine problem are much more likely.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
A shudder at low RPM is rarely the transmission. U-joints or an engine problem are much more likely.
Thanks for the responses guys!!! On the highway and under acceleration the transmission shifts and performs good, it's just when i'm at low RPMs. The truck idles really good but i've noticed when i put it in drive it stops running as smooth and it'll kinda hesitate a little when i take off. It's not a U-joint i know that so I'm leaning towards something engine related. I don't have AE or a way to scan for codes so I guess I'll have to take it somewhere. Swamps diesel is about 30 minutes from my house, i've never been there before but i may give them a call to see if they could help. Or if anybody reading this is in the Middle TN area and has AE that would like to help that would be appreciated haha

2001 CC SB Lariat 4x4
DIY 6637, 4" MBRP
Tennessee Powerstrokes
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Just a little update. I took it over to swamps on my lunch break and the stupid truck acted completely normal! Dave drove it for about 30mins on the scanner and it drove great. He said it was not an injector issue though. He checked the ICP and there was oil all in the sensor so he figured that was it and let me borrow a used one for a couple days to see if that fixes it. So far it is driving great, no hesitation at all but we'll see in a couple of days.

2001 CC SB Lariat 4x4
DIY 6637, 4" MBRP
Tennessee Powerstrokes
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 05:37 AM
Village Idiot

Awsome service...wish I was that close to a diesel pro shop.
Just the rag tag stealership around that I know of

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 02:11 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
I've seen more low rpm converter shudders than I could ever possibly count

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode