Manual to Auto swap - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Manual to Auto swap

Hey guys, i'm thinkin i'm going to swap my zf for an auto but i just have a few questions on it. When you upgrade from a e4od to a 4r100, is that an upgrade just in stock form or should i do that even on a fully built unit? Does it shift better too or anything like that? Also, does my transfer case bolt right up to either of these two? Thanks for any info!

97 F250 Stick, Dana 60 Front, Rear 4 Link Air, Dual Terminator Setup, Beans Dual Fuel, Regulated Return, 6pos Chip by Beans, 300cc Injectors, Modified H2E, Studs, Valve Springs, 6oh Intercooler, DD SBC, Short Shift from Mid-West

78 F150 Lifted, Lockers, Rubber, Overdrive Tranny

11 Ecoboost AFe, Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:57 AM
Flossin'

Re: Manual to Auto swap

I think the T-Case is universal, but don't quote me on that.

trade ya an auto for a stick

Cody B
{1996 F250 XLT PSD AT}4 tires, a turbo, and a steering wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillin View Post
If getting in and out of a truck a few inches above stock height is just too much of a chore on your regular trips to the store for tampons, then that would be a personal preference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Old But Sexy junkie!

Shame your not in FL

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 02:29 PM
PSN nerd

im going the same way, supposedly the 4r100 just has better hard parts than the e40d like a steel planetary and steel tail housing. From what i have gathered the built e40d and built 4r100 are the same with the exception of two sensors that i can not remember at the moment.

Tcases I belive they are the same also. I am going to PCS control my trans also

97 F250SC 4X4 4 LINKED ON AIR <- FOR SALE!!!!!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 02:42 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbed View Post
I think the T-Case is universal, but don't quote me on that.

trade ya an auto for a stick
Not sure about the OBS trucks but when I went from an auto to a manual the transfer cases had to be swapped out also. The out put shafts from the auto to manual are different. You can just swap out the input of the transfer case but I didn't want to.

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I would be willing to trade but the problem is that i live in Canada and the shipping would be outrageous to anywhere in the States. Although i was thinking that if someone had an auto that they wanted to trade or sell then they could just send it to BTS and i would take a long weekend and pick it up from there. The only catch would be that your truck would be out of service for probably two weeks or so because i would bring the manual tranny down there when i went to pick up the auto. That would be good though because i could take off everything that you would need for the manual like shifter, clutch set-up, crossmember, and probably even transfer case and then neither of us would have to go searching for the rest of the misc items!

97 F250 Stick, Dana 60 Front, Rear 4 Link Air, Dual Terminator Setup, Beans Dual Fuel, Regulated Return, 6pos Chip by Beans, 300cc Injectors, Modified H2E, Studs, Valve Springs, 6oh Intercooler, DD SBC, Short Shift from Mid-West

11 Ecoboost AFe, Edge
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 12:12 AM
SLOW LEARNER

What year/truck was the 4R100 available?

94 F250 4x4 SC Origanlly IDI,Currently 97 PSD,F350 springs,axles,all of the below.38R 1.15AR,CON OFE,TW 6 Position,Tymar,DP,Adrenaline,Straight piped,Stage II injectors,Electric fuel,6.0 IC,Guages
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 05:10 PM
2010 BOB Points Runner up

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever Send a message via Skype™ to Dieselfever

The SD and OBS transfer cases are not interchangeable!

Michael

1997 F350: Regular cab XLT, 7.3L PSD, 5 speed, 4x4, 3.55 - Some Stuff
2000 F350: Crew Cab, Lariat, 7.3L PSD, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.73 - More Stuff
2001 VW Golf: 4 door, GLS, 1.9L TDi, 5 speed - Darn near makes fuel!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

The 4R100 started in the superdutys i believe.

11 Ecoboost AFe, Edge
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Sponsor

I did this swap in the spring. Not too bad at all once you get all the parts. The t case just matches right up. And I went with a E40d case with 4R100 electronics from BTS. I also run a PCS. But as far as hard parts are concerned, the auto is a bit longer than the ZF so you'll need to address the driveshafts. The front needs to be lengthened and the back shortened a couple inches each. A front automatic driveshaft should be universal to all configurations, you'd just either need to source one, or have them both worked. You'll need a flexplate, and the spacer between the engine and transmission. Also the crossmembers are a bit different as well. I had lines made up and run a cooler with an electric fan in the passenger side fenderwell. And I didnt go through the headache of putting the auto column and shifter in, we just put a B&M floor shifter right over the hole where the 5spd shifter was and it turned out pretty cool. If you could find a donor truck thatd be best but if not this should be all you need if I'm remembering right. And I promise it's worth it. BTS makes a ridiculous trans.

'02 F-250 CCSB Lariat 4x4 160's 38R
'97 F-250 5.9 CTD SCSB 4x4 XLT. [email protected] #2
'06 Jetta TDI Malone Stg 2 Tune
FullForceDiesel.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode