lost overdrive, help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Six Point Slow

lost overdrive, help

I'm not very good with automatic transmissions. I was driving my 2002 f250 down a local road at 40mph when it was getting ready to shift to O/D. It started whining and never made it to O/D. I got on the highway hoping it would go in to O/D but never did. I hooked up my Prolink IQ to see if I had any trans codes, there were none. The only thing I did notice is that the Prolink was saying my O/D disable button was depressed. I know the shifter button can short at the wires with all the up and down on shifter. If I hold the button for a long time the light will go on if I play with the button sometimes the light goes on, sometimes it just goes on. Is my transmission F'd in the A or could it be the O/D button on the shifter. Ant help would be great, thanks

2004 F250 4x4 super cab. 8" lift on 37s. too much engine work to list.
2002 F250 4x4 reg cab. stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 01:36 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: lost overdrive, help

Fix the problem with the button before condemning the transmission.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Six Point Slow

The light started flashing yesterday so I was able to pull codes. The code was a p0783 so I'm guessing that trans is on its way out. It started slipping in 2nd also. Next trans is getting a deep pan and a large cooler to prevent this again

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 01:55 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

all a deep pan will do is drain your wallet faster. I don't know of anything that a deeper pan does to help the transmission.

When you get the new trans installed and it's doing the same thing come back here and I'll give you some advice.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Six Point Slow

I'm here looking for advise and help, not sarcasm. Any help given would be appreciated very much. The trans just all of a sudden started slipping in first now and doesn't seem to want to shift out of second. To be honest the trans feels like its starting in 2nd gear. now the codes are P0782 and P0783

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 01:58 AM
PSN Local

The shifter is a must fix. Ford sells it as a whole with the updated cap that doesn't fall off. Unfortunately it sounds like the trans is toast or soon will be. A deep pan is a waste. Put that money toward some quality components for the rebuild. I build transmissions for a living. A few recommendations. Billet front converter. Single disc is ok. Multi is better if u can afford it. On/off lock up conversion. Alto power pack for intermediate, Od and direct clutch packs. Sonnax sure cure kit. When your all done I recomend a trans temp gauge to monitor.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Six Point Slow

I'm going to pull the accumulator valve body before I condemn the trans just to check and make sure the valves aren't sticking at all. If all good I'm going to chase the trans wiring and make sure all is kosher on that end. I'm buying a house and I don't have the disposable income right now. The truck only has 90k on it. I'm going to take the tune I put in it a few weeks ago back to stock and see what difference that makes before I do anything else.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 10:20 AM
PSN Local

Accumulator valves don't stick just because they want to. If 1 or more is stuck it's because another transmission component is failing. But go ahead waste 8 qts of fluid and a filter to find this out for yourself. Btw the tune raises line pressure so going back to stock will most likely make it worse not better. Good luck
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 03:13 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstorm77 View Post
I'm here looking for advise and help, not sarcasm.
I don't see any sarcasm in this thread. Please point it out so that I know what it looks like.

Quote:
Any help given would be appreciated very much.
You've demonstrated that no, you don't want help. I gave you solid advice and you've ignored it.

Quote:
The trans just all of a sudden started slipping in first now and doesn't seem to want to shift out of second. To be honest the trans feels like its starting in 2nd gear. now the codes are P0782 and P0783
Now it does look like you might have internal trans problems. What does the oil look and smell like? Is it red, brown, or black? Does it have a burnt smell?

Mark

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 05:03 PM
PSN Local

maybe be as simple as wiring, first-check/fix your O/D switch and then check the harness connection at the transmission (and rearend too). it can come loose and contaminated over time. clean and tie it tight. after that your problem becomes internal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode