cracked flexplate - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

cracked flexplate

Hi All; I'm new to thisforum. I recently purchased a 99 F350 dually w/121,000 miles for $9500. It's a black SC & is so clean there isn't even a swirl mark in the paint. It was pretty noisy when I first picked it up, so I changed the oil to Royal Purple synthetic & added Power Service to the fuel. It has quieted down a lot but the dealer told Me that when they flushed the trans they found the flexplate is cracked. I took it elsewhere for a second opinion(don't really trust dealers) & was told this is a common occurence with the 7.3 diesels. I bought this truck to tow a 5th wheel when I retire in a few years, & I would like someone to tell Me if I need to go with an aftermarket replacment or will the original hold up ok. The truck has a 4" turbo back with a muffler, and was told by the dealer it also has a performance chip(no idea which one). I'm not a hotrodder anymore but I love the shove in the back when you step on it. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks AL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 06:04 PM
oilfield trash

Re: cracked flexplate

when mine cracked, i decided to drop the coin, and got the ats flexplate. that is the way i would do it again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 F350 cc lb 2wd 4" diy exhaust, diy intake, bully dog 6pos, ranch hand front and back
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 07:55 PM
PSN Local

What is the flexplate?

2000 F250 Lariat S/C SB 4X4 Off-Road
7.3L PSD
2005 Cedar Creek 30RLBS
PullRite Superglide Hitch
Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags and Dual Commander II
ATS turbo housing
AFE Stage 2 intake with PG7 filter and sock.
DP Tuner 40tow, 80 econ, 100 Race
BTS transmission April 09
Magnaflow 4" turbo back exhaust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 08:13 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to sick97psd1

It isn't supper common, I recently bought a truck with a cracked flexplate at the vehicle auction here for $1500 cause they thought it had a rod knock! I am replacing it with a aftermarket stock replacement from the local transmission shop. It was only $80.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampinguru View Post
What is the flexplate?
The flexplate is the piece that bolts to the rear of the engine crankshaft, then the torque convertor for the automatic transmission is bolted to the flex plate. The starter spins the flexplate via a ring gear welded to the plate.

Hope this helps

AL
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 01:07 PM
PSN Mega Miler

Otherwise known as a flywheel

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:08 PM
PSN Local

Aaah. Flywheel/flexplate. Never heard it refered to as a flexplate before, but I am familiar with the term flywheel. Thanks very much.

2000 F250 Lariat S/C SB 4X4 Off-Road
7.3L PSD
2005 Cedar Creek 30RLBS
PullRite Superglide Hitch
Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags and Dual Commander II
ATS turbo housing
AFE Stage 2 intake with PG7 filter and sock.
DP Tuner 40tow, 80 econ, 100 Race
BTS transmission April 09
Magnaflow 4" turbo back exhaust

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:23 PM
PSN Mega Miler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampinguru View Post
Aaah. Flywheel/flexplate. Never heard it refered to as a flexplate before, but I am familiar with the term flywheel. Thanks very much.
Always called them flywheel's too

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode