E4OD first gear problem on a buddy's truck - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroked

E4OD first gear problem on a buddy's truck

Well, a buddy of mine picked up a '97 CCLB F350 4x4 7.3L... 150k miles on it.

He's having a problem with the transmission and I told him to hold off on taking it anywhere til I figure out what the boys on PSN think of the problem. I think I ought to sell him mine and use the money to fund a BTS.

Problem: First gear hesitation. If he puts the truck into Drive, the truck won't move. It revs up as if it is in Neutral. He did this and gave it a little fuel and it revved then I heard a couple clunk noises. He let off, and put the truck into 1st. It took 5-10 seconds, but the truck went into first. From first he could move the gear selector to 2nd, and then to drive. The truck seemed to go through 2nd into 3rd, and 3rd into OD slowly, but it would shift.

Also, when he comes to a stop while in Drive, and goes to accelerate again (stop sign for example) the truck does the same thing, it acts as if it is in Neutral, and he has to move the gear selector to First.

He had a check engine light and replaced the VSS. He still currently has an ABS light and parking brake light stuck on. Not sure if those warning lights are related to the transmission problems but I thought they were worth mention. He has no other warning codes of any sort.

Oh, and the transmission he was told has been apart once before with work done, although he didn't know what.

Help me help a buddy!? Lol

97 F250 CCSB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 03:08 AM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred
Re: E4OD first gear problem on a buddy's truck

Check the large plug on the right rear of the trans for corrosion. My Dad's started acting the same way and the pins on the soleniod pack end of that connector were corroded away, as was the harness end of the plug.

Is this the friend you said might be interested in my silver truck?

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroked

Re: E4OD first gear problem on a buddy's truck

I appreciate the advice Dave! i have forwarded on the info to him regarding the transmission.

Nah, this is another friend. He just bought this truck.. the friend that I mentioned still hasn't sold his car, which he said he has to sell first... :/

97 F250 CCSB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode