E4OD 2wd to 4wd, looking at divorced t-case options - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
First time Diesel owner

Lightbulb E4OD 2wd to 4wd, looking at divorced t-case options

97 2wd F350 7.3, crew cab dually. I'm slowly wrapping my mind around converting it to 4wd using a dually F350 D60 front axle. I'm no stranger to axle swaps or building custom suspensions. What I am new to is the divorced t-case idea. I know to make a 2wd E4OD capable of being mated to a t-case one needs to swap to a 4x4 tail shaft. I'd like to avoid that, as my tranny was just rebuilt a few thousand miles ago by the previous owner with many goodies to constantly tow 26k lbs. Anyways, I'm entertaining the idea of a divorced t-case so I can leave the tranny alone. What options are there, strong enough to handle the diesel torque and offer a decent 2.0:1 or better 4LO ratio?

I'm just brainstorming at the moment. This swap probably won't happen within the next year even, if at all.

Proud owner of 1997 F350 CCLB dually 7.3L....this is my first diesel and I can't figure out where the spark plugs go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 03:14 PM
PSN Local

Re: E4OD 2wd to 4wd, looking at divorced t-case options

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan97F350 View Post
97 2wd F350 7.3, crew cab dually. I'm slowly wrapping my mind around converting it to 4wd using a dually F350 D60 front axle. I'm no stranger to axle swaps or building custom suspensions. What I am new to is the divorced t-case idea. I know to make a 2wd E4OD capable of being mated to a t-case one needs to swap to a 4x4 tail shaft. I'd like to avoid that, as my tranny was just rebuilt a few thousand miles ago by the previous owner with many goodies to constantly tow 26k lbs. Anyways, I'm entertaining the idea of a divorced t-case so I can leave the tranny alone. What options are there, strong enough to handle the diesel torque and offer a decent 2.0:1 or better 4LO ratio?

I'm just brainstorming at the moment. This swap probably won't happen within the next year even, if at all.

Hey sir. You're correct on the tailshaft needing to be swapped. Most people here choose an NP205 transfer case, with custom driveshafts and fabricated mounts for the T-case. It apparently holds up well, and if you get a reman one that's bulletproofed it can hold up to the towing you like to do.

I, personally, have never swapped a divorced t-case, but it's a good starting point for you.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
First time Diesel owner

Re: E4OD 2wd to 4wd, looking at divorced t-case options

We can put this thread to rest. I gave in. Married t-case it is.

Proud owner of 1997 F350 CCLB dually 7.3L....this is my first diesel and I can't figure out where the spark plugs go!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode