e4od late hard shift - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

e4od late hard shift

Hey guys I just purchased a 96 ford f250 powerstroke 7.3 extended cab with e4od trans. while cruisin around I notice its late to go into 2nd and when it does it slams into 2nd and 3rd, but all the higher gears shift fine. The OD light does not flash and everything else seems fine. Does anybody have any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:11 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: e4od late hard shift

Get the codes read. Sometimes there are codes in memory and the light isn't flashing.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I will try that today and see what I come up with.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Ok so I went to O'reilly's to get my computer scanned. I am assuming this is what you meant when you said to get the codes. Here are the codes that popped up.
P0221: Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "B" Circuit
P0107: Barometric Pressure Sensor Circuit Low Voltage
P0122: Accelerator Position Sensor Low Input

Could any of these codes cause transmission hard shifts?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 04:40 PM
Banned

Im saprised you got any codes from them at all
You need to get a (good) scanner on there..
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 08:03 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Any of those could cause your problem. There might be transmission codes, too. Auto parts stores can't read those. You need someone with the right tool that knows what they are doing. You won't find those at the parts stores.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 12:48 AM
PSN Newb

lesaew, Try using Manual 2nd Gear with Shifter lever (moderate acceleration) shift in to D and note if shift is better or very delay and harsh. If Manual 2nd won't go or it slips a lot (where your truck is really laboring to move with High RPM and not much acceleration) then it could be:

External Electrical - Misadjusted Manual Lever Position Sensor "MLPS", contaminated wires at either MLPS or Solenoid Valve Body Connector.

Internal Electric: Shift Solenoid 1 / Shift Solenoid 2. Internal / Hydraulic - Intermediate Clutch or One Way Clutch Malfunction or what happens a lot and most often - "BURNED BAND".

If it does NOT slip when taking out in manual 2nd more test needs to be done. The MLPS and/or Throttle Position Sensor could be suspect. There is a test procedure for TPS, 5 volts at full throttle (engine off / key on).

If you have fully functional Manual 2nd Gear - Run LIMP MODE TEST.

If it will take out okay in Manual 2nd Okay you can put your E4OD in LIMP MODE by removing the Connector to the Solenoid Valve Body. This will bypass electrical control affected by TPS, MLPS and I think Vehicle Speed Sensor signal is ignored as well.

Run this LIMP MODE Test with moderate acceleration:

Start out in OD/D on shifter - while in LIMP MODE the E4OD will take out in 2nd Gear and then will shift to OD 4th gear. If you get the same "Delay / Late" shift out of 2nd (and it will be a some what slower shift in to 4th) then its not a sensor. If the shift is not as hard and more like a normal shift from 2nd to 4th then its more likely a sensor.

If sensor(s) are suspected then get the codes pulled by a professional. You can also buy a scanner but, its going to be $100+ and do get one that can scan ABS codes too.

Let me know what you find out or if I need to explain more in detail

Also, check out my E4OD Free Tips eBook - it will give you some more diagnostic information, codes and better idea of the parts and updates made for your E4OD.

http://www.e4od.com/ebook/

Bobby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode