Normal Trans Temps? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By paysoncarnut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Normal Trans Temps?

A quick question for Mark- what is normal temperature for the 4R100? I know for most trannies, the radiator cooler actually helps the trans get up to temp when cold, and I always taught my students that auxiliary coolers should be in the flow path before the radiator so that in cold weather the tranny warmed sufficiently, and when hot, the auxiliary cooler takes the burden off of the radiator. But it seems the SD setup puts the cooler after the radiator, and mine only gets above 140 on a hard pull when the converter clutch is unlocked. Is this normal, or is something wonkie?
uawelder322 likes this.

2000 SCSB, TS 6 pos tunes, 4"Diamond Eye w/ muffler, Glowshift Gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 01:33 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: Normal Trans Temps?

I hate to burst your bubble, but you've been teaching wrong information. The radiator cooler is a cooler, it NEVER heats the ATF. Ever. In any condition.

And ALWAYS put an air to oil cooler AFTER the radiator cooler, NEVER put it before the radiator cooler.

I've measured ATF temp in and out of the radiator cooler along with the coolant temperature inside the radiator around the cooler in every operating condition I could come up with, and at ambient temperatures ranging from -40F to +115F. I never once came across a condition where the coolant around the transmission cooler was warmer than the ATF. Not even close.

Now if the radiator cooler were installed in the hot side of the radiator things would be different. Then the radiator would always heat the ATF, even when the ATF is already too hot. So that's why all transmission radiator coolers are always mounted in the cold side of the radiator, where the coolant has already passed through the radiator and has been cooled.

Do you know what the coolant temp is in the radiator near the ATF cooler when the ambient is -40F? Even after the engine warmed up and the engine thermostat opened the coolant on the cold side of the radiator never exceeded -30F. So how well will -30F coolant warm the trans?

To answer your question, what you are seeing is normal for a 4R100. The 5R110 added a thermostat to the cooler line so that 90% of the normal flow bypasses both coolers until the trans reaches 165F (nominal.) That's how to warm a trans up faster, just don't send fluid to be cooled when it's cold.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 01:01 AM
PSN Veteran

I'm curious mark. My 5r110 barely got above 90-100*f while driving almost 200 miles. Ambient temp was 10*f plus 30 mph winds. Even with a tstat shouldn't it be warmer?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks, Mark. Guess I learned something today. Too bad I'm retired, so I can't correct my bad instruction. Oh, well. I'm glad I never had to study temps below freezing, taught in AZ and CA so that wasn't a problem. Also very glad to hear my temps are ok - don't need more cooler than I've got now. "Un-necessary parts left off cost nothing and cause no service problems" -Chas Kettering

2000 SCSB, TS 6 pos tunes, 4"Diamond Eye w/ muffler, Glowshift Gauges
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 01:23 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewd11 View Post
I'm curious mark. My 5r110 barely got above 90-100*f while driving almost 200 miles. Ambient temp was 10*f plus 30 mph winds. Even with a tstat shouldn't it be warmer?
Yes, it should be warmer. Either the temp reading is wrong or the thermostat is stuck open.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 04:52 PM
PSN Veteran

What would make tstat stick open? I suppose I'll throw a tft sensor in it. They are cheap enough. During summer months it would be around 150* iirc but I don't remember for sure. Not worth pulling pump if that's the issue. No harm can be done by to cool temp, correct? I know it should be warmer to burn off any moisture. The thermostat is calibrated internally and does not rely on the TFT sensor for operation correct?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 07:41 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

The thermostat is very similar in design to an engine thermostat. It uses a wax pellet that expands at the set point, forcing the thermostat to open. Sometimes they stick. It's rare, but I have seen it happen. It is purely a mechanical device, it is not connected to any sensor or computer.

If your trans runs that cool as you mentioned it's harder to burn off moisture, and there is a VERY slight fuel economy penalty. You probably can't even measure the difference.

Mark

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 08:03 PM
PSN Veteran

Ok cool thanks. With a full wide open thermostat is it even possible to run at those temps?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 10:58 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

I suppose it is, I never ran any test with a wide open thermostat.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode