Need suggestions here - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Need suggestions here

Hey G&G's,

Looking to replace my aftermarket tranny cooler thinking I need something bigger and have some questions.
1) Will most likely use a True Cool 4739 (or V10) as I have an IC and was wondering how you guys mount them and if low or high in front of the IC.
2) How and what do I back flush the in Radiator stock cooler with?
3) Previous owner used Synthetic (must get brand from him) probably good to stick with it?
4 Would it be better to change the steel lines to bigger diameter and can I use flexible hose?

Now the rationale, while out driving slowly last week (0-5miles per hour) saw tranny temps in the 205-210 range and 180 range with the Twin E-fans on......the aftermarket cooler I have on now is perhaps a 10" by 7" and appears to be a stacked plate design but there does not seem to be air flow between the plates. The other option I was toying with is an e-fan oil cooler on frame mounted horrizontally? The primary concern here is that at low vehicle speed it appears tranny heats up w/o fans to 210 and with fans 180 or so....and will the above assist in keepin'er cool....

Typically do not haul big loads but want the ability if needed, right now tow 6-8K travel trailer, however dolly (wife) wants a bigger TT....

Thanks for input in advance.

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 01:52 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Need suggestions here

My 99 does not go through the rad. I tow 13K here in the Az heat no problems. At low speed yours will run what the coolant is. If your coolant is 200 the trans will be about the same. While towing in od mine runs about 170 or so. When I hit a 6% pull of about 9 miles and go down to 3rd gear it will climb to about 200. And thats in 100+ degrees. Now in cold weather up north the trans won't warm up very fast till you start pulling. Just my thoughts.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 02:30 AM
That thing got a Cummins?

Put my cooler behind the openings in the front bumper. So far so good trans temps around 150-160 or so.

Ford makes it
, I break it

1996 F350 CCLB 4x4 Broke Built Auto

2000 Dodge 3500 5 Speed 4x4 450k and Counting

2001 Dodge 3500 6 speed 4x4 Fully loaded

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbolt View Post
My 99 does not go through the rad. I tow 13K here in the Az heat no problems. At low speed yours will run what the coolant is. If your coolant is 200 the trans will be about the same.
That's not true.

The trans cooler is in the cool side of the radiator. That's after the coolant has been cooled by the radiator. The cool side of the radiator is anywhere from 15-100F cooler than the engine temperature.

The cooler ALWAYS cools the ATF. I've tested that in ambient temperatures from -40F to +115F and the cool side of the radiator is ALWAYS cooler than the ATF.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Hey Mark,

I need to be edumacated here.........ahem...is the cool side of the radiator on the front (grille side) and low down on the rad? The existing aftermarket cooler is located low and on the passenger side infront of the IC. It appears to be a stack plate design and is mounted such that the inlet and return are facing the passenger side of the truck (plates are vertical). Would it work more efficiently oriented such that the plates run horrizontal i.e., inlet and return in a vertical position out the bottom? It is also mounted directly to the IC would it be better to have some air space between the to?

thanks,

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 04:35 PM
PSN Veteran

Put the cooler in front of the Rad or IC where it can get the most air flow..fine orientation doesn't matter to fluid flow. We have the larger line kits..PM me for info.

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Full Force, Tymar, BTS, Icon, Pure Performance, TW tunes, just to name a few.

email:

Introduction only. Please email if I can help.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 02:04 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
That's not true.

The trans cooler is in the cool side of the radiator. That's after the coolant has been cooled by the radiator. The cool side of the radiator is anywhere from 15-100F cooler than the engine temperature.

The cooler ALWAYS cools the ATF. I've tested that in ambient temperatures from -40F to +115F and the cool side of the radiator is ALWAYS cooler than the ATF.
I beg your pardon, my early 99 does not go through the rad. Hard lines from trans goes to rubber through the ext cooler and returns to the trans. The rad has no provision for trans cooler lines. I don't mean to be arguementative but I just crawled under the truck to make sure I was correct and that is how mine is. I bought it used about 6 years ago. Not sure how it came from the fact but I certainly know how it is now. I bought it from the orig owner ( an eldery gentleman) maybe someone changed it but the rad in it now wouldn't work. But the cool side of a rad is the side that the lower hose is on.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbolt View Post
I beg your pardon, my early 99 does not go through the rad.
You misunderstood me. I was saying that the radiator cooler will never warm the trans, which is what I read that you said.

The '99 trucks did not have a radiator cooler. Many had them added later when the transmissions burned up from lack of cooling.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
is the cool side of the radiator on the front (grille side) and low down on the rad?
The cool side of the radiator is the one that the lower hose connects to. You can also tell which side is the cool side by the trans cooler. If there is a trans cooler in the radiator it is always on the cool side. Grill side or engine side doesn't matter.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 01:08 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
The cool side of the radiator is the one that the lower hose connects to. You can also tell which side is the cool side by the trans cooler. If there is a trans cooler in the radiator it is always on the cool side. Grill side or engine side doesn't matter.
Sorry about the misunderstanding. Mine will warm a bit in stop & go traffic but never enough to trash it. about 195 or so when it's 115 degrees out.When towing in that heat it will get 200-205.

Glen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode